Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac osx 10.5 server unlimited on usb

hi

my xserve g4 for model lost his superdrive cable so i can't install software from dvd's, i placed my new osx leopard software on a usb (16gb).

when i insert the usb the xserve sees it as a usb (16gb), i think thats normal right?. when i open the file on the xserve, the xserve sees it as software, just like normal you get a window with 3 options: install, documentation and other installs, when i click install osx, i get a pop up window with a big grey X on it, and right under it says that i need to restart, with a restart button. when i click that button, my mac restarts but it will not launch the installation, just like i normally start it up. so how do i install the software, my xserve runs 10.3.9 now and thats so old. 😝, i visited every pc store in my city but no one has that required cable, even the premium reseller doesn't know where to get it.

i want to run it as a "studio mac" with logic pro or something like that, so i am looking for a firewire audio interface to, so if you know a good one please tell me.

ooh yeah if someone says its loud, he isn't it nomore, i did something on the connect board from the mobo to the hdd board and the procesoor fan runs much slower now, and the server monitor says: rpm is good (green dot) and the temperature is good (green dot), when i launch some app's it doens't get hot or something just normal temperature

greetings me 😝

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.3.x), 10.3.9 g4 model single 1.33ghz

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 8:22 AM

You need to use an internal or FireWire drive and not an USB one.

(70099)

2 replies

mac osx 10.5 server unlimited on usb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.