Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.7.5 Time Machine uselessly slow?

In 10.7.5 I find that to back up 6 Mbytes (NOT gigabytes) takes around 40 minutes !

This can't be right.

Anyone else notice Time Machine in Time Warp Mode?

MacMini 2011 i5, 8GB, Radeon 6630M -OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7), iPhone4; headless dual G5 via FW800

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 7:56 AM

8 replies

Sep 23, 2012 8:31 AM in response to William Donelson

I lost all of last night wrestling with this. After letting it run over night as some posting suggested it had only backed up 17 GB after 12 hours and was projecting 5 days back up the remaining 160GB. This thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145494?start=165&tstart=0

seems to indicate that something happened in the 10.7.5 update. Don't know if that's the case but hopefully someone will get it sorted. Because this is a brand new laptop and I had no other backup I had to fall back to the SmartWare backup software that came with the Western Digital drive. It seems to be cruising along very well. But I'll be happier when Time Machine is working again.

Sep 23, 2012 12:03 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Thanks. That fixed it. I had earlier tried to disable Spotlight by adding the backup drive to the Spotlight Privacy list. When I tried that I got a message that said that Spotlight understood that the drive was a Time Machine drive and it would disable indexing of everything EXCEPT for Time Machine Backups. Next I tried to disable Spotlight all together using

sudo mdutil -a -i off

After doing this and checking the status of indexing with

sudo mdutil -a -s

I saw that indexing was disabled for

/Volumes/My Book

which is the mount point for the Time Machine backup drive but when I backup was running I saw that indexing WAS STILL ENABLED for

/Volumes/My Book/Backups.backup

and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off until I saw the "

sudo launchctl unload" command in that link.  Thanks.  I don't use Spotlight so for me it's no big deal.  Thanks again.

Sep 23, 2012 12:33 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

FatMac\>MacPro wrote: recommending EasyFInd for very fast searching; it reminds me of FastFind from Classic days.

Does EasyFind prepare an index of the contents of files?

And... I would suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner once every week or two. This way you have a bootable backup of your entire system in usable form, including preferences etc.

Time Machine is not bootable...

Sep 23, 2012 12:55 PM in response to William Donelson

EasyFind does its search in real time, no pre-indexing. It doesn't, however, search file contents, which is the downside of not running Spotlight. The only time I search contents is in emails and Thunderbird can do that so it isn't a limitation, at least for me. But it's fast, lists all occurrences, and will reveal them, even hidden files and folders, in the Finder.

Wouldn't make a move without clones. I've got 11 partitions in the Mac Pro along with 11 TB of backups in four externals. But Time Machine is still pretty cool.

10.7.5 Time Machine uselessly slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.