Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a factory unlocked iPhone 5 A1429-GSM work in S Korea & USA?

According to Apple, the model A1429 (GSM) is the one for South Korea- LTE bands 1 (2100 MHz), 3 (1800 MHz) and 5 (850 MHz).

When I return to the US in 2014 will I be able to use it on Verizon and sprint's network? I noticed that the LTE band 1, 3 and 5 are also supported by those two US carriers. However, those two carriers use a different platform/technology (CDMA).

I am positive that the A1429 GSM will use a nano sim card. What about the CDMA? Please clarify.

I am contract free as of yesterday and able to go with either of the carriers and be able to factory unlock it before my departure in January 2013. However, the hardware must work in Korea and in the US.

Another option that I am considering is a factory unlocked iPhone 4S, but I cant find a 32GB. I am very reluctant with this option as I am afraid that when I return to the US (Jan 2014) things will drastically change and I wont be able to enjoy the new advancements in the mobile tech world because I have a hardware that wont handle them.

Thank you.

iPhone 5, iOS 6, iPhone 4S 32GB

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 11:35 AM

No you will not.

Neither Verizon or Sprint will activate a device on their network from another carrier.

5 replies

Will a factory unlocked iPhone 5 A1429-GSM work in S Korea & USA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.