Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clamshell mode w/external monitor broken in 10.8.2

Ever since I made the .2 upgrade in mountain lion clamshell mode does not work with my MBPro 8,2. Previously in Lion and Mountain Lion clamshell mode worked fine, I even executed the following terminal command so I could open the lid without the internal display turning on (sudo nvram -d boot-args). Now when I wake the computer from sleep with the lid closed, mouse and external monitor plugged in, I get to the login screen, the desktop will flash and then it will go back to sleep again. The only rememdy is to open the lid, but then my terminal command isn't working and the internal display turns on. This is most frustrating. Any help is appreciated.

Curt

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 9:44 AM

11 replies

Sep 25, 2012 10:22 AM in response to daenneys

Thanks for the snarky reply. I know how to do a search, you'd assume if I'm smart enough to try a terminal hack I knew how to use a web page search box.

It looks like every discussion on the clamshell issue gets mysterious "closed," "helped" or "answered" when indeed there is no real solution, including the thread you linked, hence my new topic. So I appreciate the help. </sarcasm>

This is a real problem and I wish I could be shocked at Apple's response. I use Win7 in bootcamp for work, it is so trivial to turn off my internal laptop display or work in clamshell mode. In the rush to get out Facebook integration and shared photo streams Apple really let this bug through in the update?

Back to my issue, it doesn't matter what monitor port I use (VGA or DVI) clamshell mode doesn't work. Turning off the internal display obviously doesn't work when connected to an external monitor. Contrary to your link (and many other threads) this problem (clamshell mode or turning off the internal display when an external is attached) still exists. It worked in 10.8.1, it doesn't in 10.8.2.

Sep 25, 2012 10:53 AM in response to herozero

If you'd read the topic I linked, that's exactly what it is about, the fact that people can't use an external monitor anymore without also having the internal monitor active.

This behaviour, clamshell mode, has been different since 10.7 (compared to previous versions) and could be altered using the nvram setting. However, since 10.8.2 it doesn't seem to persist anymore.

Jun 30, 2013 12:57 PM in response to herozero

I'm just curious. Did you ever figure this out? I just upgraded my mid 2009 MBP from Lion to Mountain Lion and it of course broke the nvram hack. I booted up with the clamshell closed, utilizing my Apple Cinematic display and the wireless mouse/keypad. After I was logged in, I reapplied the nvram hack and it worked flawlessly. I was able to open the clamshell without turning the MBP's display back on and gimping my Cinematic's resolution. So I guess Apple fixed this...

Jan 6, 2014 12:28 AM in response to herozero

Hi, just a bit late but probably with the MAGic solution!!!!!

Has anyone ever tried the MAGic fridge MAGnet???

I have a MBP 17" mid 2009 with Mavericks, but should work with almost every laptop...

1 _ Plug your external monitor-keyboard-mouse (do not forget the power supply)

2 _ Place the magnet over the bottom-right edge of the right speaker.....

3 _ Press the Power button

4 _ The MAGic happens.....your Mac is open, the internal monitor is off, the white led is on (sleep mode)

and you can enjoy your external monitor.....

To find the right spot for the magnet just switch on the computer and move the magnet along the edge till is going to sleep!!!!!

Hope someone find it helpful

Cheers

clamshell mode w/external monitor broken in 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.