Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What did they do to TextEdit.app?

For years I have been using TextEdit as my main "go to" editor.

It had a bare bones interface, but it was FAST and CAPABLE for all tasks, startup, formatting, adding photos, opening DOC files, whatever I needed short of desktop publishing...

Under Lion it has become so slow and has so many bugs that it is unuseable.

- Takes forever to launch

- Can't add photos without some sort of gymnastics (used to be able to drag and drop, or just place the insertion bar and paste... not anymore.)

- Often won't paste text copied from another application

- Hangs for extended periods for even simple tasks like opening a file, copying, pasting, closing a window, quitting.

How could an application get screwed up so badly?

When is it going to get fixed?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 10:38 AM

12 replies

Dec 12, 2012 10:45 AM in response to petermac87

On the slow to launch, save, and close, it could be attributed to my MBP 17 2.3GHz C2D being a bit of pig out of the box [builtin Jan. 2007]. Everything runs slower on this model than on our iMac 24, and a MBP 15 2.2GHz C2D [built in Oct. 2007].

So, on functionality, we use to be able to copy from a website and paste in an RTF format what ever was copied. Not now. Images must be saved first to the computer, then inserted. All styling from the site is lost. Use to be included when pasting.

List formatting is arduous when customizing a paragraph to have a sub paragraph without a list bullet, number, etc..

Soft return or line-break does not exist. I can't choose when I want break the sentance and continue on the next line in the same paragraph. This is also very useful where there are multiple lines of text in list item.

This is the same experience I have on all three of our Macs.

petermac87 and Topher. Do these shortcomings exist in your use of TextEdit?

If not, then we have a compatibility issue somewhere, or an instalation error that didn't get flagged.

If these are duplicatible function flaws on anyone's Mac, then the app is as I said originally, very poor. 😐

Dec 12, 2012 12:12 PM in response to Yosemite Man

I have none of the problems you list, Yosemite Man.

Copy a web page? Select and Drag & Drop or select and Copy & Paste. Either works flawlessly for me, images and formatting. I tried this page, Select All. It copies perfectly.

Soft return in a bulleted list? I just tried that. Control-Return starts a new line, keeps the indentation but without a new bullet. Then Return continues with the next list item.User uploaded file

Dec 12, 2012 1:56 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Control-Return is not standard soft return in typography. Shift-Return is. That doesn't work.

But why the heck won't these other functions work in our installs. All our Macs are running Lion. Are you guys on Mountain Lion?

Hmm.

You're using Safari to copy from. That's not my favorite browser. I use Firefox primarily. As web developer Safari is rarely used gadget browser.

So, sufice to say, for some reason Apple has decided its a good idea to limit the use of TextEdit from compare to what it use to be. A simple go to text editor.

Not impressed... 😝

May 20, 2013 9:33 PM in response to organicpanic

Since I purchased my new iMac running Mountain Lion, TextEdit has all the problems listed by Yosemite Man.

I used to drag images from a browser into TextEdit and now it looks like it should work, even changing the icon as I hover over TextEdit, but when I release the image, it inserts a blank space.

I can't copy and paste images either.

Only when I insert an image from Finder does it work. This is rare that a program would have LESS functionality than before.

Jun 6, 2013 1:11 PM in response to organicpanic

Absolutely agree and identify with all frustration expressed above! I find myself struggling just to do a save as and having to do it over and over. This is the kind of thing that drives people back to PC's. And the disappearing scroll tabs are really slick but their slickness does not eclipse good old functionality. Don't get so sophisticated that you lose your market Apple.

What did they do to TextEdit.app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.