Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LTE & touchscreen problems

I got my iPhone 5 on Friday....until then - problems, problems, problems...

I've got scratches on the the metal...my homebutton sounds like it's not really fixed, my wifi isn't workin correctly on WPA2 secured networks.

But now the next problem, today i went to Hamburg, a bigger city in Germany and i wanna try LTE on my new iPhone.

Now the problem, when i wanna use LTE my touchscreen doesn't react correctly after a while.

I want to read an email and was scrolling throuch it. The scrolling wasn't "fluid" and while scrolling the email, the mail was deleted, although i didn't press the delete button.

Next test, using Safari...scrolling problems and after a while my touchscreen doesn't react of any touches...

After locking and unlocking screen the touchscreen is reacting again.

I turned LTE "off" in my networks-settings and everything works well... ;-(

Does anyone have this problem, too?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 1:19 PM

9 replies

Sep 28, 2012 5:16 PM in response to j3r3myw

I have had the exact same problem. I got an iPhone 5 the day after the release (September 22nd). I soon had problems with the frozen touchscreen. I tried all the reset options including factory reset. I went back to my carrier (Softbank in Japan) and they ordered me a replacement phone. I got the replacement on September 27th. I soon had the same problem happening with the replacement phone. I have been doing lots of tests since then...installing apps one by one to see if the touchscreen freeze is connected with a certain app. I also turned off LTE and lo and behold for the past 24 hours my phone has not frozen up once. I am sure that LTE is the reason for my phone locking up. Now, whether or not this is a software or hardware issue is something I have no way of knowing. Since LTE was one of the main reasons I upgraded from the 4S to 5 it is very important for me to have a phone that works properly with LTE switched on. So, I went back to my carrier, showed them the phone freezing up and they have ordered me another replacement. It will be few days until I get my 3rd phone. If the problem continues then the chances are high there is a software bug of some sort. I will bookmark this thread and check in from time to time to see other stories and I will add an update to my situation after I get my new replacement.

Oct 5, 2012 6:09 AM in response to x3ntor

Same problem here in Perth, Western Australia, on the Optus network, when switching to and from LTE the phone stops responding for about a minute. I have turned LTE off for now as I can't get a stable LTE connection were I work and no connection to LTE at all at home. Optus has just rolled out LTE in Australia and is limited to the suburbs close to the City and mostly on the street only. There could be some network issues that make this issue happen, I haven't seen many complaints about this. If everyone was getting it, it would be a major scandal.

I expect this will be fixed by Apple with an update. I will wait and see how things go. I might make a Genius appointment to show them what is happening though.

Oct 11, 2012 6:23 PM in response to x3ntor

Similar problem in Sydney Australia - iPhone 5 16GB Black on Optus.

While within LTE coverage:

First call comes in after about 9 sec the call gets garbled then I disconnect the call

Second call comes in within next sever seconds and its all fine

I have also noticed that the iPhone 5 switches from LTE to 3G when a voice call comes in - I understand that this is due to the circuitry / software.

I have been on call with Optus Technical Support. We tried all basic trouble shooting, restarts, resets iPhone and network on Optus side. Problem comes back after a few days. Will be replacing the SIM today but I doubt thet will solve my problem.

I have also noticed that while on LTE - I switch LTE off in Setings->General->Celular and watch the top left signal indicator - it drops the signal bars to zero and the LTE symbol dissapears after a second or so the bars are back and 3G symbol is shown.

So is it possible that when I receive the first call, the LTE circuitry switches to 3G then the voice codec does not handle the switch properly? Hence software problem?

Jul 8, 2013 1:27 AM in response to j3r3myw

I have the EXACT same problem here in Switzerland! I am connected to LTE via the carrier "ORANGE".

As soon as LTE is enabled in the options, I have issues with the Touch-Screen.

Got a new iPhone 5 from the Apple-Store last week and it worked there while testing.

However, back home and connected to LTE, I have the same **** problems again.

Is this issue ever going to be solved? Or is it the infamous Apple "In-Cell Display problem" which is now acting up with LTE also?

Most users do not have LTE in their region. Imagine if ALL users had LTE! This would cause a HUGE problem for Apple and they would be forced to react!

I would like to hear an official statement.

Is this caused by a Hardware-Fault in all iPhone 5 models?

Is this caused only on some carriers?

Can it be resolved with a Software-Update or a Carrier-Update?

I Pay allot of money to always have the latest Apple-Products. It's things like these are VERY frustrating indeed and make me want to consider another brand...

LTE & touchscreen problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.