Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4,4S WiFi issues connecting to 802.11n after iOS6 Upgrade

It seems like Apple has either let a wireless bug slip into iOS6, or they have made a strategic change to not allow the iPhone 4 and 4S to continue to support 802.11n in the 5Ghz Band. Like so many others, I was an early adopter to with iOS6, downloading and installing it on the First Day within hours of it being available. Like many others as well, I ran into frustrations which have been Highly Publicized, including Passbook Connection Errors, Apple Maps being below sub-par, and others. Once my phone rebooted, I noticed that it no longer recognized my Apple Time Capusule wireless access point.

For bandwidth purposes, and to get off the highly crowded 2.4Ghz band, I had configured the Time Capsule Access Point to limit connections to 802.11n (5Ghz). Up until I upgraded, my iPhone worked beautifully with the settings. After the upgrade, my iPhone no longer supports the 5Ghz Band. It doesnt seem to be a limitation of the phone whereas it was working previously, but Apple may have disabled 5Ghz support to bring specs in line with advertising on their website which states that the iPhone 4,4S do not support the 802.11n 5Ghz Band. http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

So my only conclusion is that they either have a bug in iOS which we can hope for a quick fix, but more likely the fact that they have purposefully decided that the faster and less crowded 5Ghz Band is now only worthy to be used by the new iPhone 5.

Incidently, my iPad 2 which uses the same WiFi hardware as the iPhone 4S, is working properly on the 5Ghz Band, but you will notice that the comparison page between the iPad 2 and 'The New iPad' has not been updated with frequency clarifications like the iPhone has.

These are the things that drive me nuts about Apple!

Here are some recommendations for those of you Experiencing issues with Wireless after upgrading to iOS6:

-- Down-shift your WiFi Access Point to use 801.11a/b/g, or only use 802.11n (2.4Ghz)

-- Resetting your Network ( SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESET NETWORK SETTINGS ) This will not work without doing the Prior

I have opened a ticket with Apple Support on the issue, and it's currently being "reviewed", I will post their response below.

iPhone 4, iOS 6, Wireless issues with iPhone 4,4S in

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 1:33 PM

There are no replies.

iPhone 4,4S WiFi issues connecting to 802.11n after iOS6 Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.