Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine reports error with Time Capsule while in Power Nap

Version 10.8.2 software update fixed the issue that the little lights on the dock did not reappear when waking from sleep (yeah!) but created another. I have a 2TB Time Capsule that I use with Time Machine. I typically put the MBA to sleep (because they still haven't fixed the won't sleep when lid closes if there is an external display issue). When I wake it in the morning there is an error to the effect that Time Machine could not back up to the Time Capsule because it is not formatted as Mac OS Journaled--then it offers me the opportunity to select a different drive. If I ignore the error and do nothing, Time Machine backs up properly when the MBA is awake (and sometimes when it is asleep).

Mac Book Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 11.6"

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 1:58 PM

11 replies

Oct 16, 2012 1:58 PM in response to Dan Connors

After upgrading from OS X Lion 10.7.5 to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and taking advantage of the "power nap", I too experienced the message that my backup Time Capsule was not properly formatted. Within the few minutes it took to find these posts on the Apple Bulletin Board, the pop-up error message disappeared on its own and the Time Machine backup proceeded as normal. Seems like the "power nap" doesn't always wake up well. I'm considering this a nuisance and will be watching the Boards for any updates or solutions.

Nov 18, 2012 1:17 PM in response to Dan Connors

I have the same error on my iMac, ML 10.8.2. Time Machine backs up fine while "awake" but after it snoozes, I get the same message. "The backup disk is not in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, which is required." The drive is formatted just fine, a it has been for quite sometime; my Time Capsule is not the newest but has served me well. Until now. Hopefully someone has a solution (?).

Dec 10, 2012 2:13 PM in response to Dan Connors

Having the same problem now on a MBA 10.8.2 on a Time Capsule 500 GB ver 7.6.1

What I find interesting is: I never had this issue until I deleted a corrupted Time Machine backup yesterday and then did a completely new (and successful) back up of the machine. Now, when the machine wakes from a Power Nap, I get the error message being described, but I never got it before yesterday.

I ran the Time Machine backup through DiskUtility and did a verify... no problems. The sparsbundle is marked as Mac OS Extended Journaled as it should be.

Looking to see what Apple says about this issue.

Dec 11, 2012 2:45 PM in response to Skruggs

I seemed to have made the problem go away by doing the following:

1) Mount the Time Capsule disk in the Finder and browse to the Sparsbundle for your backup

2) Launch DiskUtility

3) Drop the image for your backup onto the sidebar of DiskUtility

4) Click Verify

5) When it's done, close DiskUtility and eject the Time Capsule from the Finder

After doing the above, my MBA wakes from Power Nap with no error message and Time Machine backups begin and complete normally.

Time Machine reports error with Time Capsule while in Power Nap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.