Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappearing events in iCal

A week ago all events in my iCal display disappeared. I restored them from a Time Machine backup. They disappeared again. I restored them again, then saved the .icbu file. They disappeared again. I restored them from the .icbu file. They disappeared again. I signed out of iCloud, turned off wifi, restored all the events, saved the .icbu file, turned on wifi, signed back in to iCloud, re-imported all the events and they disappeared again. I've tried everything I can find that's recommended and nothing works. iCloud seems to have a version of iCal that has saved only events I've entered since this horror began, and that version overrules anything I do on my iMac, no matter how many times I export and re-import. I can think now of only one solution: ditch iCloud from my life. Is this really what it's come to?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 1:54 PM

12 replies

Sep 24, 2012 4:55 PM in response to paulkreuzer

OK, I think I know what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it. Like many other Mac users I seem to have two addresses, one ending in mac.com, the other in me.com. The iCloud address that comes up in system preferences is the one ending in mac.com but the iCloud calendars end in me.com. So when I sign out of iCloud I'm not signing out of me.com and the calendars saved in me.com are untouched, ready to overrule the ones I import. To solve the problem I have to eliminate one of the addresses, or find a way to sign out of the me.com version. It would be preferable to eliminate one of the accounts but I don't know if that's possible. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Oct 16, 2012 2:57 AM in response to maxmax2010

For the many, many people with this problem I want to repeat my advice that this solution : http://chasingaftermoonbeams.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/restoring-lost-ical-events-a nd.html

has worked for me where dozens of others didn't. It's as if the deletion of everything gets rid of things that otherwise cause trouble. I don't think this course of action is any more complicated or difficult than any other, but its comprehensiveness seems to get rid of all the rubbish that's sending the system crazy. Fingers crossed (yes, life with Mac OS has become that primitive!).

Nov 19, 2015 5:07 PM in response to Peter Best1

This has really frustrated me as well. Using a clue found here, I went into Settings, found the iCloud, iCal links, clicked there, AHAH, discovered under Sync, the ability to specify a period of time., e.g.; One Month, Two, etc. my iPad had been set to One Month. I clicked on Always, and voila! All of my old appointments Appeared. Problem solved.

Disappearing events in iCal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.