Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 black 16gb internal headset speaker faulty.

I've noticed the voice quality is horrendous on my new black 16gb iPhone 5.

At first I thought it was network related as I have AT&T. The best way to described it, it sounds like the speaker is blown. When I say "speaker " I'm talking about the speaker you put your ear to. The call quality is extremely raspy. Now if I plug the headphones into the jack, the call quality sounds like it should.

I had an AT&T store rep confirm this. They state i"t seems your phone has a bad speaker and you'll need to have Apple replace it". Even though I purchased this directly through AT&T .Great.....

So now I have to go to a Apple store for a replacement and good luck getting a 16gb model as there backordered for weeks.

Has anyone else has this issue with their iPhone5? Put me down as one extremely disappointed Apple customer.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 2:42 PM

13 replies

Sep 23, 2012 3:32 PM in response to rs4pilot

i too am having these issues. my calls sound muffled. the person on the other end sounds like they are covering the mic a little. also im getting the same problem with the speaker on the bottom. sometimes it sounds clear then it muffles the next second. when i use the keypad to type a number with the volume on set to 3 bars the dial tones are very loud!

overall im having alot of issues with my iphone 5:

horrible battery life

super bad reception

speaker problems

screen going blank out of nowhere

rattle coming from top portion of phone

touchscreen lagging

so disappointed

Sep 23, 2012 9:35 PM in response to rs4pilot

Same here with my iphone5 32gb, when i answered a call, it sounded so distorted/ muffled/ buzzy, as if someone was covering a mic and talking over it.

I tried it by having another person call me, same thing, tried another call, same thing :/ even tried it over skype calls, same buzzy quality

So disappointed. I'll see if i can have it replaced. But im not a happy camper atm. Darn, my 3gs quality was uncomparably better.

Love the phone, but not this call quality problem.

Oct 1, 2012 5:49 AM in response to rs4pilot

I had the same problem too already changed one phone and the second one has the same problem just slightly better. I get this issue outside only all of sudden the quality of the headspeaker changes. Its sounds like listening through a door with cup and/or a sound frequincy change. Its actually giving me a headache. Im going to the apple store today.

Oct 1, 2012 6:27 PM in response to rs4pilot

Well they "Genius" guy said there was nothing wrong with the phone and didn't want to exchange it. I asked to return the phone and was denied because service/refurbished model do not carry 14 day money back guarantee. Even though I got the service model 48 hours after phone arrived. 45 minutes later refund and back to iphone 4S. I will eventually get another but if apple screwed on the headpiece i will be very upset because LTE alone kicks butt

Oct 4, 2012 1:10 PM in response to Ricky7780

Same Problem as Ricky. Reception single stinks. Dropped my wife's call 2 times last night in my home. iPhone 4S never dropped her call. Same places, around the same times, just different days.

And her voice, as everyone elses voice, sound like they have their mic up to their cheek.

I don't know what to do. I'm traveling in a few days and won't be back for 2 weeks. Really can't affored to muck with this.

Nov 28, 2012 7:59 PM in response to rs4pilot

My brand new Verizon iphone 5 is having issues too!

The BIGGEST problem is how other people hear ME when I am talking on it. They complain that *I* sound muffled and like I am talking through a pillow.

If I change ears or move my head position it often clears up. If I move it back to the other ear, it will often get muffled again. (I am very careful to make sure I am not moving my hands, covering the mic, or doing anything else that interferes with the sound... strictly moving the phone back and forth.) This would tell me it is an antennae issue, no???

Because I bought THROUGH verizon (not apple), Apple won't support me. And neither apple nor verizon will help me if I can't get the phone to duplicate the problem with THEM. (Do they REALLY think I would LIE about a problem with my BRAND NEW phone??? This is not FUN for me! It is a pain in the neck to re-set everything up!!!) Anyhow, tonight FINALLY it did it while I was ON the phone with tech support at verizon!!!! So they will replace it and not charge the re-stocking fee. (Be sure to do this in the first 14 days, if you can! It makes it MUCH easier.)

This new phone has a PROBLEM. It is all over the internet. It is not the case or the user or comething covering the microphone. It is the iphone 5! Apple needs to address it! I don't know if it is all the phones, but it is clearly MANY of them [and it is hard to diagnose because YOU (the user) can't hear it... only the people to whom you are speaking can hear it.] I don't *THINK* my son's and husband's iphone 5's are doing this... but I talked to a friend on HER iphone 5 today and HERS was doing it! So I will get my new phone tomorrow and PRAY that IT doesn't have the same problem. Wish me luck! :/

Nov 29, 2012 3:00 AM in response to mazmom

Yes Apple will help you. If u make an appointment with a geniuses bar in an apple store they will swap it out. I am with sprint and was in Santa Barbara, phone was muffled also, went to the Geniuses Bar at the apple store there an they swapped it out. Had issues activating the new phone but I got that worked out with Sprint directly. New phone is better but still at times it does sound muffled but seems to clear up after a min or two on the phone.

Hope this helps

Greg

Siesta Key, FL

Nov 29, 2012 7:23 AM in response to RazorV

Thanks Greg!
I did go to apple and waited 30 mins. and sat with a Genius while they attempted to get the phone to duplicate the problem with them but it wouldn't. They eventually sent me away telling me to go to Verizon to exchange it. I am getting a new phone tomorrow and am HOPING it is not a faulty one (because it doesn't seem to me like they ALL are?).

Thanks again!!

iPhone 5 black 16gb internal headset speaker faulty.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.