Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with Safari 5.1.7

I'm having some issues with the newest Safari update; I didn't realize all of them at first but over time the combination has been leading me to have to open a lot of browsers in Firefox and I'd just prefer not to have both web browsers open at the same time and go back and forth between windows, etc. So the issues:

Embedded videos on websites, for instance Tumblr embedded videos (not the videos hosted from Vimeo or Youtube) do not load at all. They'll buffer infinitely without truly loading and playing.

Photo upload forms, for instance on the WWOOFing website, on Facebook, and photo attachments sent through email do not upload the photo or attachment anymore. It will appear to load and just continually stall and never truly load.

I'm going to keep using Safari because I like the simplicity and speed of the browser but it's becoming a hassle to have to upload photos and watch videos, etc, by opening a second window/application. Does anyone know what's up or is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 2:46 PM

11 replies

Sep 23, 2012 2:59 PM in response to ZZZombie

Embedded videos on websites, for instance Tumblr embedded videos (not the videos hosted from Vimeo or Youtube) do not load at all. They'll buffer infinitely without truly loading and playing

Open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Advanced tab. Click: Delete All

Quit and relaunch Safari. try a video.

As far as uploading photos to Facebook, instead of using email, go to your Facebook page then click Add Photo. Much easier to upload photos to FB that way.

Not sure about the wwoofing site.

Sep 24, 2012 3:15 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Did these steps but still neither works. The extensions I had downloaded were: stumbleupon and divx, both of which I had previously when videos would play and the uploading forms would work. I'll leave those extensions turned off anyway because I have an assignment due and show absolutely not be spending time on stumbleupon x)

I wonder what the issue could be though? I'm stumped :l

Oct 3, 2012 12:33 PM in response to ZZZombie

I was seeing the same problems. I was seeing Safari running at 99% CPU and the Flash Plugin taking up a lot of physical memory and CPU as well. I have fixed it, now Safari runs in the 5-12% CPU range while the Flash Player Safari Plugin runs at 40-50% CPU. Unfortunately I changed 2 things before testing it so I don't know which one did the trick.

1. I deleted the Flash Player cache as described above with one slight clarification. Make sure Safari (and probably any other browser) is not running when you do Delete All in the above steps. First time I tried it, Safari was running, I did Delete All and restarted Safari as described above, but problem persisted. 2nd time I did "Delete All" Safari wasn't running plus I did the following.

2. Going through the logs I noticed that there were "Missing bundle identifier" messages regarding Flip4Mac WMV, the Flip4Mac Quicktime Components.pkg and Flip4Mac Web Plugins.pkg to be exact. They even showed up in the FlashPlayerInstallManager.log. So I checked to see if an update for Flip4Mac was available, I upgraded to 2.4.4.2. This time when I ran the video it worked just fine.

Hope this helps.

Nov 3, 2012 4:11 PM in response to ZZZombie

(Disclaimer: I have all Apple hardware, and have no ill will towards Apple)

YouTube/Safari issues are not uncommon. I, too, started having issues with certain videos on YouTube from out of the blue. Cut through all the crap, and the bottom line is that if it works on Firefox without screwing around with all the settings, it should work in Safari. But it doesn't. It's not a YouTube problem. It's not a Flash problem. It's a Safari problem. I have uninstalled/re-installed Flash. I have cleared caches and deleted cookies. I have run in 32-bit mode. I have repaired permissions. The only thing that works is the one thing that just works all the time - use Firefox. It is not as quick as Safari. It is certainly not as aesthetically pleasing as Safari. But it just works.

The truth may hurt, but it also will set you free...

Issues with Safari 5.1.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.