Previous 1 2 3 Next 35 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2012 8:16 AM by mvband
rfarwell25 Level 1 Level 1

I just bought the iPhone 5- a black, 64 GB, CDMA model- and every now and then a horizontal line of static appears in the middle of the screen. Is this a hardware of iOS 6.0 software issue?

A video of the problem appears here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJobxmLXiHo

• M0RP4 Level 1 Level 1

Same issue here. Apple is sending me something... not sure what... but they said they would replace the phone. I'm getting "something" tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4nt7FP_Hf0

• nicksaintjohn Level 1 Level 1

I am also seeing this static occasionally, twice in as many days. It only seems to be a visual issue and doesn't seem to cause any other issues... Think I will aslso ask Apple for a replacement and see if it helps, I strongly suspect it's a hardware issue.

• chardonbleu Level 1 Level 1

I have this issue too.  It's intermittent, only lasting for about 5 seconds at a time, happening yesterday whilst using the camera and today whilst using an app.  There doesn't seem to be anything in particular triggering it.  It looks like the video which MORP4 linked to except perhaps the interference is more purple-coloured on my iPhone 5.  As nicksaintjohn says it doesn't appear to affect anything else.  It's a total pain since it took a while to get the phone set up but unless it's definitely shown to be a software issue I'll be going to get this handset replaced in the next few days!  It's a black, 64GB, UK/GSM model.

• nicksaintjohn Level 1 Level 1

Mine is also a black 64Gb UK model... I'm suspecting the colour isn't relevant however My replacement should be with me this week.

• kahos_angel Level 1 Level 1

Same sort of problem here only it happens under a very specific set of circumstances. I have to be in either the app store or the itunes store and click on "buy" and have the dialogue box pop up that asks for my apple password. Then I have to click from the main keyboard to the numeric keypad to get it to appear. It is reproducable to a point. You can't make it do it if it's been too short of a time, usually i can wait a few hours and try it again. You can, however get the static to go away by touching the buttons the static goes through. I'm not sure this is a hardware problem, I think there may be some bit of code that makes it not display correctly. I'm not a programmer or an engineer, so I'll admit I could be totally off the mark. I haven't sent mine in yet, gonna wait till the orders catch up and that way I should be able to shorten my time without a phone.

• mmm001 Level 1 Level 1

I have a 16GB white iPhone 5 and am experiencing the same thing. I've noticed it happens in the app store or when the keyboard is up.

• leroydouglas Level 6 Level 6

I have seen this too on the iPhone5 a couple two or three times,  It seems to be in association with the AppStore interface only.  Maybe very similiar to what was stated above in the kahos_angel  post.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.8.2) 2.4GHz IntelCore i5 320 HD 8GB RAM ParallelsDesktop8.0 iPhone5_iOS6

• EdHans Level 1 Level 1

This is definitely not restricted to the App Store app, or even when a keyboard is up. I've seen it on the home screen in the keyboard area at the bottom.

• SgMilkshake Level 1 Level 1

i bought my ip5 last friday.

I also faced the same issue once so far, not at the app store though.., weird thing is, also happened at the keyboard same location..

Apple, is this a hardware or software issue?

Because i can't prove to the staff here for an exchange..

• Mathiias Level 1 Level 1

I got the same problem too. - iPhone 5 - 15 Gb - black

I hope it is a software issue....

• j_camiling Level 1 Level 1

i got the same problem also, it's freaking me out..

• EdHans Level 1 Level 1

An Apple Genius swapped mine out today, so I am good to go it seems. The new unit hasn't done it in about 6 hrs. Not definitve, but the old one rarely went 3-4 without me seeing a bit of flicker.

We'll see.

• chardonbleu Level 1 Level 1

For me it's not only restricted to the App Store app or when the keyboard is up (although last night the keyboard was up when it happened).  The first time I saw it I was taking a photo in the Camera app.

It's only happening about once a day for me and it doesn't appear to be predictable, so will be difficult to demonstrate the fault.

• kn04 Level 1 Level 1

I'm facing the same problem as well!!! Went to the apple store, got the phone replaced and the new one has the same problem! I've only seen it happen on the app store app so far, when the keyboard comes up to type in the password! This is really bad for what should be such an amazing phone. Apple you should be doing something about it!

Previous 1 2 3 Next