Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horizontal line of flickering static on iPhone 5 display

I just bought the iPhone 5- a black, 64 GB, CDMA model- and every now and then a horizontal line of static appears in the middle of the screen. Is this a hardware of iOS 6.0 software issue?

A video of the problem appears here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJobxmLXiHo

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 3:02 PM

35 replies

Sep 24, 2012 6:18 AM in response to rfarwell25

I have this issue too. It's intermittent, only lasting for about 5 seconds at a time, happening yesterday whilst using the camera and today whilst using an app. There doesn't seem to be anything in particular triggering it. It looks like the video which MORP4 linked to except perhaps the interference is more purple-coloured on my iPhone 5. As nicksaintjohn says it doesn't appear to affect anything else. It's a total pain since it took a while to get the phone set up but unless it's definitely shown to be a software issue I'll be going to get this handset replaced in the next few days! It's a black, 64GB, UK/GSM model.

Sep 24, 2012 7:40 AM in response to rfarwell25

Same sort of problem here only it happens under a very specific set of circumstances. I have to be in either the app store or the itunes store and click on "buy" and have the dialogue box pop up that asks for my apple password. Then I have to click from the main keyboard to the numeric keypad to get it to appear. It is reproducable to a point. You can't make it do it if it's been too short of a time, usually i can wait a few hours and try it again. You can, however get the static to go away by touching the buttons the static goes through. I'm not sure this is a hardware problem, I think there may be some bit of code that makes it not display correctly. I'm not a programmer or an engineer, so I'll admit I could be totally off the mark. I haven't sent mine in yet, gonna wait till the orders catch up and that way I should be able to shorten my time without a phone.

Sep 27, 2012 5:48 PM in response to rfarwell25

I'm facing the same problem as well!!! Went to the apple store, got the phone replaced and the new one has the same problem! I've only seen it happen on the app store app so far, when the keyboard comes up to type in the password! This is really bad for what should be such an amazing phone. Apple you should be doing something about it!

Sep 27, 2012 7:41 PM in response to kn04

My new phone also does it in the app store only, but it isn't quite the same. These are very thin white lines only when the keyboard is up in the app store. My first phone had multicolored lines in various apps.

I think the current issue with my phone is software related since it is so specific to one app. Hoping for a fix soon. I hear there some wifi issues with some iPad users and iPhone users, so hopefully a 6.0.1 patch is in the works.

Horizontal line of flickering static on iPhone 5 display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.