Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not open key UNKNOWN/Componets

I keep getting this error, with a long string of letters and numbers after it. I dont feel like typing it out when I could just enbedd a screen shot, which I have put here:

[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh104/wuzupmyhomiz/Untitled_zpsa0d0b35a.png[/IMG]

I have googled it several times, tried TuneUp Utilities, Ccleaner, I tried looking in regedit, and I couldnt find the file that it was asking me to modify the permissions for.

I just got a iPhone 5 yesterday, and I really want to set this bad boy up with VLC streamer and some music.

Thank you for any help! If you have ANY suggestions, please post!

iPhone 5, iOS 6, iTunes(Latest Version,64bitversion)

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply
15 replies

Sep 29, 2012 7:28 PM in response to Wuzupmyhomiz

Trying another tack. Going back to using regedit rather than the Fixit.

Try heading back into the "Permissions for Components" screen shown at step 12 of the Tip instructions:

(12) In the "Permissions for Components" screen that comes up, click the Advanced button:

User uploaded file

Select Administrators, check "Full Control" under Allow, and click OK.

Repeat for any "Users" entries showing up in there.

Try the install again. Any better luck?

Sep 29, 2012 7:43 PM in response to Fusion5432

The link basically takes you step by step for what b noir said

🙂 Not quite. In the current version of the user tip, we haven't been touching the permissions in the screen ... we've been heading straight to the ownership. Changing the ownership doesn't necessarily change the permissions. There seems to be a class of these that only respond to the ownership change, and a class for which we have to also change the permissions.

(Done enough live human experimentation on this in the past tweo days, that I'm just about ready to amend the user tip to try to catch that latter class of the problems.)

Could not open key UNKNOWN/Componets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.