Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage syncing slow?

I can't tell if this is just a problem with me, or if this is fairly common, so any input is appreciated:

I have an iMac, iPhone and iPad. Theoretically, iMessages should instantly sync between all three devices. However, in practice, the sync between devices is (usually) quite slow. Messages will often come through to the iPhone first, then take up to fifteen minutes to sync to the other two devices. This greatly undermines the practical utility of the service.

Additionally, the Messages app on my Mac routinely gets the order of sync'd messages wrong (it'll show messages out of chronological order)... the only way to fix this is to reboot the application.

Does anyone else have issues with slow sync and/or out of order messages? I've tried deleting conversations and signing in/out of iMessage on various devices to correct the issue, but it never works... it makes me think it's something wrong on the Apple server end...

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 5:11 PM

50 replies

Oct 13, 2012 12:40 PM in response to Ben401

Hi

I would suggest http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

Under the hood Messages still uses many iChat parts and the Free text area on that page will accommodate the Version Number and OS version you are using.

User uploaded file
8:40 PM Saturday; October 13, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 7, 2012 11:48 AM in response to Ben401

Sometimes the chronological order of the messages is correct on the iPhone but when I go to my MacBook Air the same conversation will be out of order. The issue seems to me mostly with the iMessage app on the MacBook Air and OS X v 10.8.2 (with all update current on both devices). Not use to this kind of glitchy stuff since the old days. Usually these type of issues are solved pretty quickly with updates; not this time. Hope soon as the Cloud is getting a bit foggy.

Nov 7, 2012 1:19 PM in response to Big Boot

Hi,

iMessages has nothing to do with iCloud with the exception that some people use their Apple ID that they use for iCloud.

It does seem that the Mac App and it's syncing from the iMessages server is the area that needs looking at.

However people are less likely to have their iPhone s off even when using the Mac version of Messages at home.

For Macs it seems to be worse when the computer has been Asleep or Off when Messages is launched.

A conversation that is already taking place on the iPhone has new iMessages then interspersed with the conversation history that is trying to sync.

I would like to see some method that ensured a sort of Instant catch up on devices that had been Off line for some reason.

User uploaded file
9:19 PM Wednesday; November 7, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 22, 2012 3:02 AM in response to Ben401

Same Problem here.

Using:

- iPhone 5 (2 weeks ago iPhone 4), both iOS 6.0.1.

- Macbook Pro Retina OS X 10.8.2

I can send and receive Messages from my Phone without any Problems.

As soon as i activate Messages on my Mac the Problems start:

I can send Messages from the Mac, somtimes they arrive, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they are synced with the iPhone, somtimes they aren't.

If someone is sending me a Message he reveives this red alert button, that the message hasn't been delivered even though it has been delivered to my iPhone (but not to my Mac).

I activated/disactivated iMessages on every device several times, even reseted my iPhone. Nothing solved the problem....

Any other suggestions?

iMessage syncing slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.