I noticed the same issue on both my iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Issue is temporarily fixed by turning airplane mode on and off on either device. A hard reboot temporarily fixes the problem but it recurs. It happens when I'm on an area with poor signal inside a building. The problem is that it won't go back to "4G" once I'm outside and in an area of strong 4G coverage.
My partner has an iPhone 4S and has not experienced this problem.
Seems to be limited to LTE devices.
In particular what I see is the following:
1) When going from an LTE to a non-LTE area, the phone just doesn't see any data connection; I have no data connection until I toggle Airplane Mode, and then I get 4G back.
2) Other times, my signal strength toggles from full to one bar and back every few seconds with no data connection; once again going to Airplane Mode and back fixes it and I have strong 4G.
Are others experiencing this AT&T users?
I saw a Sprint user above but have no idea if they even have iPhone 5 LTE.
My iphone 5 on at&t never connects to 4g after leaving my house where i have no service.
i never got any service at my house thats normal for me. the problem is when i leave it doesn't find 4g it only connects to edge and the bars keep going up and down. it stays that way until i reset it. so everyday i leave my house i have to turn airplane mode on and off to get it to connect to 4g.
1) went to at&t, they gave me a new sim card. didnt fit the problem
2) ive been to apple they replaced my phone. didnt fix the problem
3) restored and set phone up as a new phone. didnt help
4) went to apple again they gave me a hard time and pretty much said to deal with it
5) called at&t service center 2 weeks in a row and all they could do was credic my account money.
i'm just getting tired of this. i shouldnt have to make my phone connect to 4g every time i leave my house.apple keeps blaming at&t and at&t keeps blaming apple and still no one has a fix
Does anyone have any permanent fixes that help them?
You have to hard reboot your phone....
1. Quit all you apps running in the background.
2. Hold the sleep/power button and home button at the same time until your phone powers off.
(Do not use the swipe to power off way)
3. Press the sleep/power button to turn your phone on.
All should be good again in the world.
yeah i just tried that a few times in the last few hours. At first it seems to work and connect to 4g but after it loses service for a little while and then finds service again it just connects back to edge instead of 4g. thanks though im willing to try anything at this point.
Did that permanently fix your phone so it connects to 4g after regaining lost service?
I have the same problem in UK and my iPhone 5 was working fine with 3G and I'm not a 4G subscriber but suddenly a week ago my phone started to switch between 3G and Edge. Even restarting the phone, Airplane mode or hard reset did not get my 3G back. The only way I can get the 3g is by removing my sim card and installing another one then installing back my original sim card and after a while of 3G the Edge (E) returns like a ghost.
I had a sim replacement but that did not fix the problem. I used my old iphone 4 and the problem was gone!
return to iPhone 5 and the Edge again !
Then I found the problem !
It's the carrier, not the phone!
Every network has two coverage 3G and Edge, in iphone 4 and 4s, the option of having 3G or Edge is set so iphone 4s or 4 seem to track only 3G network when 3G toggle is ON. In iphone 5, the phone work both the 3G and Edge,which ever is available but set the priority for 3G in the first run of the simcard. Now what is happening with me is that the 3G network is having a continuos blackout moments and therefore the phone switch to the Edge network Automatically and when you go to an area with only 3G coverage the phone will be forced back to 3G but loses it again when the 3G is stopped for some reasons.
Also it seems that this problem is happening with carriers with 4G or LTE network.
So I'm trying this solution and hope it will work, I turned off the LTE toggle and turned off the automatic selection of the carrier and choosed the 3G network and i will see tomorrow if that would work !