Skip navigation

Location services icon shows up everytime I unlock iphone

7461 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2014 1:03 PM by Peter 123 RSS
javierjose Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 23, 2012 6:38 PM

I don't know if someone can help me. Since I got the iPhone 5 the location services icon shows up everytime I press the home to then unlock the phone. If I wait for 1 minutes then it dissapear. I have just a couple of apps that requiered location service but all of them are closed. I know that is not using my battery neither data because it disappear after a minute, but it is annoying.

iPhone 5, iOS 6
  • Tgara Level 4 Level 4 (3,540 points)

It's nothing to worry about if it goes off after a minute.  However, if it really bugs you, try shutting down all your apps and doing a soft reset on the phone.

You probably have an app that is still active that pings the location service.

You can go into the Settings, Privacy, and check to see which apps have used the Location Service recently.  Then look at each of those apps on your phone and make sure they are off.

javierjose wrote:

I just found out that the Passbook app was causing the issue. It doesn't matter is the app is close the location service icon will still show up for at least 30 seconds. I only had one pass on the app and it was the Walgreens Balance Reward card. I added this card with my near store saved on it. Once I remove the store the issue disappear. BTW I still have the location service "ON" on the Passbook and works fine. Like I said I only needed to remove the store save on the pass. Thanks

Good information, thank you for posting.

• jvs3186 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Shredding the one coupon I had in passbook did solve the constant location services turning on every time I pressed the home button. Thanks for the info! 

• NextelMichaelG Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Yes, Passbook is the culprit! nDeed, it is SO ANNOYING seeing that icon every time I unlocked my iPhone 5S

keywords: iphone 5s location services icon always on when unlocking phone ios 7 passbook

• msegt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

For me it was not just passbook, but also another location services under settings->privacy->location services->system services.

I have deactivated location services for location based iAds, popular near me, and wi-Fi networking and now my battery last quite more and the annoying icon doesn't show up :)

It seems that Apple gets info from us to improve their wi-Fi hotspots databases, send us iAds based on our location and things like this. If you don't need any of the location functions under system services I would recommend you to deactivate them.

More information and a better explanation here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5594

• Peter 123 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks ... Your note led me to where I could fix the problem. I hadn't noticed the system services item and sure enough there was the purple icon (never saw that color before either). I expect my phone's battery life is going to improve!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.