Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location services icon shows up everytime I unlock iphone

I don't know if someone can help me. Since I got the iPhone 5 the location services icon shows up everytime I press the home to then unlock the phone. If I wait for 1 minutes then it dissapear. I have just a couple of apps that requiered location service but all of them are closed. I know that is not using my battery neither data because it disappear after a minute, but it is annoying.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 7:22 PM

It's nothing to worry about if it goes off after a minute. However, if it really bugs you, try shutting down all your apps and doing a soft reset on the phone.

12 replies

Sep 23, 2012 7:51 PM in response to Tgara

I just found out that the Passbook app was causing the issue. It doesn't matter is the app is close the location service icon will still show up for at least 30 seconds. I only had one pass on the app and it was the Walgreens Balance Reward card. I added this card with my near store saved on it. Once I remove the store the issue disappear. BTW I still have the location service "ON" on the Passbook and works fine. Like I said I only needed to remove the store save on the pass. Thanks

Sep 24, 2012 6:41 PM in response to javierjose

javierjose wrote:

I just found out that the Passbook app was causing the issue. It doesn't matter is the app is close the location service icon will still show up for at least 30 seconds. I only had one pass on the app and it was the Walgreens Balance Reward card. I added this card with my near store saved on it. Once I remove the store the issue disappear. BTW I still have the location service "ON" on the Passbook and works fine. Like I said I only needed to remove the store save on the pass. Thanks

Good information, thank you for posting.

Dec 16, 2013 4:29 AM in response to NextelMichaelG

For me it was not just passbook, but also another location services under settings->privacy->location services->system services.

I have deactivated location services for location based iAds, popular near me, and wi-Fi networking and now my battery last quite more and the annoying icon doesn't show up :)

It seems that Apple gets info from us to improve their wi-Fi hotspots databases, send us iAds based on our location and things like this. If you don't need any of the location functions under system services I would recommend you to deactivate them.

More information and a better explanation here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5594

Nov 17, 2015 4:17 AM in response to javierjose

I'm having this same problem too. I,ve pinned it to apples built in location services. Every time I light up the screen or unlock my iPhone 5s location icon shows for about a full minute. The services being used are Compass Calibration, Location-Based Alerts and Routing & Traffic which is overly excessive in use. Also all settings are fully tweaked. Background app refresh turned off for Every app, location set to While Using. I also used someone's iPhone 6 which did not do this. It was never a problem before iOS 9. Also has anyone picked up their phone and it's warm to hot to the touch after sleeping for a while? And No it's not charging either. All that heat even kills he battery from 80% to powered off dead by morning.

Nov 28, 2016 6:46 AM in response to javierjose

It's normal for all Apple products including iPhone,iPod Touch,iPad and even Macs.It is used for either Find My iPhone or Find My Mac.It is initiated by iCloud to determine your device's last known location.It is kinda annoying sometimes but you will get the hang of it.It also happens with my MBP too.

(It is known to only work if the product is signed into/with an Apple ID.)

*If your device isn't signed into/with any Apple ID even once and the location icon shows up,it seems to be some apps might be using your location service.

Location services icon shows up everytime I unlock iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.