Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme as range extender

Hello everyone,

I have an AirPort Extreme (current model) as my main router in my house. I recently purchased an AirPort Extreme (fast Ethernet) version in hopes to extend my signal throughout the dead zones in my house. Is it possible to use the "fast Ethernet" module as a range extender? If so, how?

Thanks,

-Andrew

AirPort Extreme -OTHER

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 9:11 PM

1 reply

Sep 23, 2012 9:35 PM in response to Ajmarion12

The "recently purchased" model AirPort Extreme, if you purchased it within the last twelve months or so, is the "current model". If you have two of them, the answer is obviously yes. If you have two 802.11n Extremes, basically any of the ones built since about 2007, the answer is still yes.

I don't believe you would have asked in those words if you were in possession of two apparently identical Extremes though, so please indicate which two models you have.

Use this page: Identifying AirPort hardware

"Fast Ethernet" was typically used to describe 100Base-T to distinguish it from the relatively slow 10Base-T. Apple discontinued models with 100Base-T Ethernet ports over five years ago. They were the original "round" AirPort Extreme model.

If you have one of those, the answer becomes more complicated.

"Fast Ethernet" was superseded by 1000Base-T. It has become more commonly known as Gigabit Ethernet.

AirPort Extreme as range extender

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.