Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping windows open

Is it possible to keep 2 windows open? Example: I am working in the Piano Roll window and I want to adjust the velocity of a note. I highlight it and adust its velocity in the Event window. When I let go the mouse the Piano Roll editor window cloese. Is there a way to keep both windows open?

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac Pro 8 core / Apogee Rosetta 800

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 3:55 AM

5 replies

Sep 24, 2012 12:14 PM in response to jrm1

You can literally keep 100 windows open if you need to.

I assume you're working in the large "all in one" Arrange window, with the Piano roll open at the bottom. I don't know why the Piano Roll closes after a change in the Event list - that doesn't happen here.

Why don't you just open a new standalone Piano roll window:

Go to the main Menu bar in Logic.

Click on the Window menu and select Piano Roll.

Re-organise your screen so that the Arrange and new Piano Roll both are visible.

Better still, do this in a new screenset - that is Logic's secret weapon and many folks don't use it.

Go to the main Menu bar in Logic.

Click on the Screenset menu and select Duplicate.

A dialog will open suggesting the next vacant screenset. You can even name the new screenset here.

Use the new screenset for the differently sorted windows. Your original layout then remains unchanged in the original screenset.

Hope this helps....

PS

I just had a thought...

Maybe you did have a standalone Piano Roll window open already. When you click and adjust the event list, you're probably just bringing the arrange window to the front and covering the Piano Roll. You could use Exposé (default shortcut F10) to show all open App windows.

Sep 25, 2012 1:18 AM in response to Colin Shapiro

Thanks guys; I realise I wrote my original post in a hurry and it didn't explain the scenario well enough. I use screensets all the time and find them incredibly useful. But for quick and changing editing that wouldn't work well enough for this.

The scenario is/was this:

My arrange page has an even list on the right hand side as one of the tabs. If I select a region and hit apple 6, it opens the piano roll as you know. If I adjust the velocity of an object in that region via the event window, it closes the piano roll. Not so when I use the window that pops up at the foot of the arrange window.

Is there a context command to keep a window open, to force it open (float?)?

Sep 25, 2012 4:00 AM in response to jrm1

It doesn't close, it's just hidden behind the main screen.

Click the (integrated) event list and the Piano Roll window is sent behind the arrange window.

The way to avoid that from happening is to "tear off" the event list (grab it by the tab and move it) so that it becomes a separate window too. Then the Piano Roll window will no longer hide behind the arrange window when editing the event list.

Keeping windows open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.