Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos play on iPhone 5 but not when they're emailed.

Hi. Just noticed on my iPhone 5 that I can shoot and view videos on the phone, but when I send them via email & try to watch on my computer there is sound but no video. Have emailed them to gmail and outlook accounts & attempted to play on Quicktime, Real Player and 2 video editing suites that have had no problems with .mov files before- no joy.

If I open the email attachement on my phone, there is no problem.

Anyone else noticed this?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 9:26 AM

Hi, I just spent an hour on the phone with support about this. I could watch and hear the video via iTunes. So that was their answer. They stated that they should play on Quicktime and did not know why they did not. His answer was basically that the technology is so new it is going to take other compatibles time to catch up. So try watching them via iTunes for now. That should work, but it is a hassle.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Ray Dio

Hi, I just spent an hour on the phone with support about this. I could watch and hear the video via iTunes. So that was their answer. They stated that they should play on Quicktime and did not know why they did not. His answer was basically that the technology is so new it is going to take other compatibles time to catch up. So try watching them via iTunes for now. That should work, but it is a hassle.

Sep 24, 2012 9:56 AM in response to nicbates

Appreciate the response, nicbates, thanks for that.

Stupidly I hadn't thought of trying to watch them on iTunes and yes, they do work there (allbeit in landscape and not portrait as they were shot!)

Seems strange that Quicktime won't run them. I've not heard from many people with the same problem, but maybe not that many people have tried to email vids from iPhone5s yet. Hopefully it'll get sorted out in an update...

Sep 24, 2012 10:19 AM in response to Ray Dio

I think others will have the same problem as I had a few friends with iPhone 5 email me videos so I could build a case with support that it wasn't just me. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Quicktime because Support seemed sure that Quicktime and .mov from iPhone 5 should be compatible.

I also had the orientation issue with iTunes. I hope this can get some momentum as people discover it and it will be fixed.

Thanks for posting in the first place.

Sep 24, 2012 11:13 AM in response to Ray Dio

I'm having the same problem. Trying to edit a video in Adobe Premier Elements and it doesn't show the video. I get a green screen and sound, but no video. Tried it in Quicktime and all I get is a black screen and sound. It seems to only happen with video shot using the front facing camera on the iPhone 5. Video shot with the rear camera is fine.

Sep 27, 2012 6:44 AM in response to Ray Dio

Just to add confirmation of the facts/observations:

iOS 6 videos compressed on the iPhone/iPad (on most compression settings) are NOT compatible with the latest Quicktime v7.7.2 in Windows. The audio channel is fine, but the video track is all black.

As another user pointed out: iTunes is an option for playback, but you sure have to work much harder that way, expecially since iTunes ignores the orientation matrix.

I tested the following presets: none of them were Windows-QuickTime compatible:

AVAssetExportPreset640x480
AVAssetExportPreset960x540
AVAssetExportPreset1280x720
AVAssetExportPreset1920x1080
AVAssetExportPresetMedium
AVAssetExportPresetLow

Videos play on iPhone 5 but not when they're emailed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.