Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-destructive reinstall of OS X?

Is it possible to do a non-destructive reinstallation of OS X using the "Install Mac OS X" function on my recovery partition?

If not, how can I do a non-destructive reinstallation to repair a corrupted OS X installation? Somehow my installation got screwed up, and as (bad) luck would have it, my trusty, automated Time Machine backup chose to go haywire around the same time. Thus, I'm left with a non-booting OS X installation that I strongly suspect is just a couple of fried system files away from perfect health, and no way to resore from my backups. By the way, my OS X 10.8, MacBook Pro 13" 2009's boot drive is under FileVault 2 encryption.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 4:36 AM

2 replies

Sep 24, 2012 5:22 AM in response to UltraBird

If you do a reinstall via the Recovery partition it will not (read: should not) touch any user accounts or the data therein. It only replaces the system files.

That said, if you do a reinstall without having a backup, you're taking a risk. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your current system (never rely solely on Time Machine!) before attempting the reinstall.

Non-destructive reinstall of OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.