Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6 disables wi-fi on sleep mode - disappointing

I'm still quite not sure as to whether this was intentional or not. As I've read on other discussion threads, some people like it, however, MOST people do not.

I personally dislike it. It takes away, for me, somewhat a nice feature of having push notifications: that you can get notifications anytime, 24/7(given you are connected to wi-fi or you have your mobile data on) even when the iPhone is on sleep mode. And since there is the Do Not Disturb feature, it won't be much a of a problem if it's about the notifications disturbing you.

If it's about battery saving, well, it does help. But I think, if it is(which we're still not sure) intentional that the iOS 6 disables wi-fi on sleep mode, Apple should at least add an option for us to choose as to whether we would like to keep the wi-fi on, or off when the iPhone/iPad/iPod is on sleep mode.

As with most people, I would like to keep my wi-fi on, anytime, anywhere, and it's up to me to deal with the battery consumption.

Thoughts please?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 5:05 AM

251 replies

Sep 24, 2012 5:29 AM in response to yanipopo

wifi has always been automatically turned off here when the phone is locked (in iOS 5 etc... ) after a few minutes ... that's an iOS feature, as Apple considers that the phone in standby will use less battery on cellular data than on wifi. This said, as soon as you turn the phone back on (light up the lock screen), you'll notice that the phone switches back very quicly from 3G to wi-fi, and this, already before you unlock. If you don't like that behavior, switch off cellular data when you're at home, or wherever you know you can have a constant wifi connection.

ps: this built-in behavior won't change in "do not disturb" mode on iOS6.

edit: this said, wifi must still always work - when needed - in the background when the phone is locked, as automatic iCloud back ups run that way.

Message was edited by: arrow7

Sep 24, 2012 10:53 AM in response to yanipopo

I know this can be annoying, a bit time consuming to do, but something close to the issue has happened to me already after upgrading to 5.1 from 5.0.2 etc... third party apps wouldn't get push notifications anymore (built-in apps would though). So the only way I found to recover that was to:

1 disable all notifications for all apps (everything ... from banners to alerts, lock screen, notification center etc...)

2 reset network settings,

3 once back on iOS, re-enable manually everything for each app.

... and 4, for apps that still wouldn't get push notifications, delete them and re-install them.

and again, I never had any issue with push and built-in apps.

... sorry guys but that's all I got.

Sep 24, 2012 11:08 AM in response to yanipopo

For sure this happens. I am in a building, and an overall poor service area, so iMessage was always my best bet.

I have a 4s with iOS5 and a 4s with iOS6

A ping test of the IP clearly shows that when the phone sleeps with iOS6 the IP no longer responds about 10 seconds after the phone going to sleep. This does not occur on my iOS5 version.

This is a HUGE problem for me. I am not going to go back to putting my phone by a window just to make sure I get messages.

EDIT: Semi workaround for me.

It seems if the phone is plugged into a charger, the WIFI stays active.

Sep 24, 2012 11:30 AM in response to MikeT in NJ

I agree this should be a user's decision. Never really had a real problem with that because I constantly got 3G available where I use wi-fi. But yeah, this also means that notifications go through 3G when the phone is locked and this can - although not disproportionately - eat your data subscription. So again, you can always disable cellular data to force the phone use wifi when locked (and dimmed) and unplugged.

iOS 6 disables wi-fi on sleep mode - disappointing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.