Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New users accounts keep getting disabled at login

Hello,

I am using Mountin Lion 10.8.2 + Server 2.1.0. I have a weird problem, every new Network user account I create keeps getting disabled (acces account is unchecked in the Workgroup manager) at first login on the client. The following can be found in the "Password Service Server Log":

Sep 24 2012 14:37:24 554615us RSAVALIDATE: success.

Sep 24 2012 14:37:24 555908us TestPoliciesForRecord: setting disable reason to 3

Sep 24 2012 14:37:24 851686us TestPoliciesForRecord: {no user} account is disabled.

Sep 24 2012 14:37:24 851728us USER: disable reason is 3

Sep 24 2012 14:37:24 852075us USER: {0xd0d71358063e11e29351c82a145901a8, bratej} is disabled.

I have two accounts that have no problem logging in. I must have changed something after they were created, every setting of the working accounts is the same as of those that keep getting disabled.

In the Workgroup manager -> Account -> Advanced->Options I have the following set:

- Allow the user to log in

In the Server->Open Directory->Global Password Policy

- nothing checked (no policy set)

Any ideas what is going on?

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 5:49 AM

22 replies

Sep 24, 2012 7:09 AM in response to iqmax

Update:

If I change the password of the users whose account keeps getting disabled, the following apprears in the log:

Sep 24 2012 16:05:15 156496us SETUSERPOLICY: setting disable reason to kPWDisabledNotSet

There is no such message for the two users that can log in when I change their password.

Sep 24, 2012 9:00 AM in response to iqmax

I managed to get the login for the users working by using the command line (you might have to also use the -n /LDAPv3/"server" e.g. /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1):

pwpolicy -a "diradminusername" -u "username" setpolicyglobal

I still don't know why or how the policy for new users was/is changed and why the global policy is not in effect. I hope I don't have to apply the above command for each user ...

Sep 24, 2012 9:15 AM in response to iqmax

If Users Can’t Log In or Authenticate

If a user can’t log in or authenticate to his or her account, consider the following to determine whether the source of the authentication problem is configuration-related or due to the password:

• Reset the password to a known value and then determine whether there is still a problem. Try using a 7-bit ASCII password, which is supported by most clients.
  • Make sure the password contains characters supported by the authentication protocol. Leading, embedded, and trailing spaces, as well as special characters (such as pressing Option-8 to form a bullet), are not supported by some protocols. For example, leading spaces work with POP and AFP, but not IMAP.
  • Make sure the user’s keyboard can generate all characters in the user’s password.
  • Crypt passwords don’t support many authentication methods. To increase the probability that a user’s client applications are supported, set the user’s password type to Open Directory or suggest that the user try a different application.
  • If the user’s account resides in a directory domain that is not available, create a user account in a directory domain that is available.
  • Make sure the client software encodes the password so it is recognized correctly. For example, Open Directory recognizes UTF-8 encoded strings, which might not be sent by some clients.
  • Make sure the user’s current application and operating system support the user’s password length. For example, Windows applications that use the LAN Manager authentication method support only 14-character passwords, so a password longer than 14 characters causes an authentication failure even though Windows service supports longer passwords.
  • If you disabled authentication methods for Open Directory or shadow passwords (such as APOP or LAN Manager) the user’s applications can’t authenticate using the disabled methods.After enabling or disabling Open Directory Password Server or shadow password authentication methods, you might need to reset the user’s password.For additional information on enabling and disabling authentication methods, see Server Admin Help.
  • For Kerberos troubleshooting tips, see Server Admin Help.
  • If a Mac OS v8.1–8.6 computer fails to authenticate for Apple file service, the computer’s AppleShare Client software might need upgrading:
    • Mac OS v8.6 computers should use AppleShare Client v3.8.8.
    • Mac OS v8.1–8.5 computers should use AppleShare Client v3.8.6.
    • Mac OS v8.1–8.6 computers that have file server volumes mount during startup should use AppleShare Client v3.8.3 with DHX UAM (User Authentication Module) installed. DHX UAM is included with the AppleShare Client v3.8.3 installation software.

Sep 26, 2012 2:40 AM in response to David Kurtz2

No final resolution yet, I'm still using the above mentioned "workaround" with command line pwpolicy.

What I can gather is that in the offending accounts (that get disabled at login) the attributes are:

expirationDateGMT=01/01/1970

hardExpireDateGMT=01/01/1970

validAfter=12/31/1969

while the accounts that work have the attribute:

expirationDateGMT=12/31/1969

hardExpireDateGMT=12/31/1969

validAfter=01/01/1970

That is the only difference I can see by using pwpolicy -u user getpolicy

It seems the account is immediately marked as expired and thus disabled? I don't know where to change this behaviour (or how it was set in the first place!) so this attribute would be set as a default for new users.

It was a clen install - 10.8.2 installed on formatted disk, fully updated and then Server 2.1 installed, after that configured as an OD master (other services like DNS and DHCP were of course configured first). All the connecting clients are on OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (no Windows clients).

May 2, 2013 7:05 AM in response to iqmax

It seems to relate to creating users via WGM.

Currently I am creating them in Server.app which works fine, then going in to WGM to configure homedir, groups etc manually.

It's a real pain but I would be surprised if Apple get round to fixing it considering WGM is a dead-man walking with Apple pushing us towards ProfileManager.

May 2, 2013 8:11 AM in response to iqmax

The thing we found related to this is the checkbox in Workgroup Manager (Advanced tab, Options...) that says that the password must be changed at next login.

What this actually does is disable the account until the user logs into a Mac and uses the login interface to change the password. All other uses of the account will see the account as disabled until this has been done.

This setting is a default when making a new account in some ways. So check this checkbox on one of your problem accounts and make sure it's not the cause of your problem.

ProfileManager is not intended for use with setting up account details. ProfileManager seems primarily for use in configuring devices. Apple seems to want us to use Server.app for settings account details.

May 2, 2013 9:30 AM in response to Simon Slavin

The issue the OP is referring to is not a simple as "Access Account" being checked in the preset. We had good presets with the account enabled. But when creating accounts in WGM they would switch to 'Disabled' when a user tried to log in. You could flip them back to enabled (in WGM or Server.app) but they would again switch to disabled each time the user attempted a login. I also see some service access options ticked and greyed out in Server.app if I create the accounts in WGM.

Server.app is definately where Apple want us to create users going forward, but ProfileManager duplicates most of WGM's... err... work group management 🙂

It pretty much replicates WGM's preference options for Users, User Groups, Devices and Device Groups but via the magic of Push and PostgresSQL. I still don't trust it though and am sticking with WGM just now.

New users accounts keep getting disabled at login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.