Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else notice iPhone 5's lens cover is uneven or tilted?

I received my pre-order black iPhone 5 on launch day (9/21/2012). I love it! 😀

However, I noticed that when I pull the iPhone 5 out of my pocket there is often lint sticking out of the lens cover for the iSight on the back.

This morning upon closer inspection, I noticed that the lens cover is slightly tilted downwards.

It is visible to the eye, but it is especially noticeable when you run a finger across it.

I notice that the top of the lens cover is completely flush while the bottom is slightly less than flush. It is tilted inward, below the surrounding glass.

Does anyone else notice this? Is it perhaps just how it is designed?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 6:59 AM

I am very interested to see if others' lens are completely flush with the back of the phone. From pictures I have seen it looks like mine may be defective.

9 replies

Sep 26, 2012 10:36 PM in response to Purfikt

Got my iphone5 on launch day as well and have the same problem. I know it doesn't affect anything but it will still drive me nuts and I gotta think that if Jony Ive put a phone in SJ's hands with a small issue like this, he would have been pretty upset about it. I've got a genius bar appointment on Friday and am gonna try to get them to swap it out. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Sep 27, 2012 4:40 AM in response to Vicky Bilaniuk

I went to a Genius Bar appointment and after waiting 45 minutes a genius replaced my iPhone 5. In fact he replaced another one at the same time. He handled both of our cases simultaneously with an iPad away from the Genius Bar.

I'm happy with my replacement. He said it was a brand new phone, not a refurb. However, I inspected the replacement iPhone in store and I found a knick in the beveled edge and a scrape about 1cm long on the side of the iPhone. I decided that I'd rather have a couple of scrapes than a recessed camera lens. Once I got home and had it under better light I found dust under the lens. So overall I'm disappointed but I'm 99% satisfied with my device and its not worth the hassle to get a another replacement. I think there are definite quality control issues with the new iPhone, though.

Dec 2, 2012 5:09 AM in response to Purfikt

Can't tell if mine is uneven, but I have noticed lint has been getting underneath my camera lens and its driving me crazy. There was dust under neath it when I bought it, but from what I could tell it did not effect photos. Now there is a big piece of lint in there with no way to get it out, (ive tried compressed air) and I am not sure what to do next. I don't plan on replacing my phone because the so called "geniuses" are so rude and snotty at my store it's not worth the abuse when I go in. This phone is a disaster, I'm going back to Android when my contract is up for sure.

Dec 20, 2012 1:19 PM in response to Undercover101

haha, good luck with that!

I'm pretty critical of my Apple hardware. I expect it to be perfect out of the box, and they definitely fell short with the iPhone 5. My replacement had scuffs as noted above. However, I am very satisfied with my iPhone 5. It is a great device. I would not dare go to Android. From what I've seen the build quality of Android devices does not hold a feather to Apple hardware. Lots of plastic and cheaply made parts. I have been on the lookout for a cheap unlocked android phone so that I can use it as a mobile hotspot. I don't know if the iPhone 5 will ever be jailbroken.

Anyone else notice iPhone 5's lens cover is uneven or tilted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.