Currently Being ModeratedNov 1, 2012 2:59 PM (in response to lorennerol)
Settings>General>About>Diagnostics & Usage (at the bottom)>Diagnostic & Usage Data
Scroll down and look for:
and tap on the entry. Look for:
Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
This means the Apple Push Support Daemon (apsd) crashed and is a sign of the bug.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 1, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to iSam88)
iSam88: So far it has not failed and I am receiving push email notifications and no apsd crash, however previously I could run for days until it stopped working. For others, it fails in minutes. So, it's not deterministic.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 1, 2012 3:06 PM (in response to lorennerol)
No it does not, as I understand it. Unless you flush it manually from Console or delete the files.
If you have that, it is great news - you have no crashes. I've got a bunch of apsd, other Apple daemons, and third-party app crashes.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 1, 2012 3:50 PM (in response to Frank Malloy)
Push has not worked for me from day one (5 weeks now) and I have never had an apsd crash. I installed the latest patch today and it broke 10 minutes after the reboot. I mentioned this earlier but this IS an LTE problem! We have 5 users on iphone 5's with AT&T where we don't have AT&T LTE service and push has always worked on their phones. All phones are set up exactly the same, I am the only one on Verizon. Verizon does have LTE in this area.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 1, 2012 4:07 PM (in response to waytogoidaho)
waytogoidaho: Thanks for the info. I am on ATT with LTE service and I get the lost push, but I also have apsd crashes in my logs that (I thought) were correlated.
For what it's worth, it seems the severity of my lost push is not as bad as others on Verizon, but I still have issues. I have updated to 6.0.1 and it's pushing ok, however it's only been a few hours...
Currently Being ModeratedNov 1, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to superclay)
Well, push worked for a few hours and then gone. The last two times this has happened, push worked fine while at my office and logged into company wireless network (same network that mail server is on), once I left that network, and I guess hopped on 4G is when pushed stopped. Guess I'm master of the obvious with that statement!
Currently Being ModeratedNov 2, 2012 6:03 AM (in response to Frank Malloy)
I can confirm that IOS 6.01 did NOT fix this issue. In fact, it is not even listed in the bug fixes for this update.
So I guess we can only hope that the fix will be in 6.1, which I understand will come out around the New Year (either late December or early January).
Wow. Can't believe it is taking this long to fix an enterprise issue.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 2, 2012 7:44 AM (in response to Caesarp)
I can confirm that on my phone I do *not* have any APSD-specific entries in the diagnostics log and push works only for a few (<30) minutes after I switch in and out of Airplane Mode. I have two Exhange accounts on the phone, both running against Exchange 2010 SP2 with the current rollup.
More Like This
- Retrieving data ...
- This solved my question - 10 points
- This helped me - 5 points