Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy Contacts on my iPhone to iCloud contacts

How do I copy contacts from my iPhone to iCloud?

I have used my iPhone for contacts stroed on my home PC, a previous work Exchange account, and current work Exchange acount. When I look at the contacts in iCloud there are only a few, which are the ones I have made on the phone directly. The ones through the exchange account(s) are not available. I am scared to sync through iTunes because I think it will end up deleting the ones not already part of the phone.... Just like it did for two photo albums.

Isn't there a "move this contact to iPhone or iCloud" function? Help please.

iPhone 4, iOS 5, iPhone 4s

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 6:18 AM

9 replies

Sep 24, 2012 8:37 AM in response to Midnight412

OK! This is what I would do. It involves some human efforts:

1. BACKUP YOUR PHONE!

2. BACKUP YOUR CONTACTS FROM OUTLOOK! (export to csv or vcards)

3. BACKUP OTHER CONTACTS! (export to csv or vcards)

4. IF YOU HAVE backed up all contacts on your Iphone switch off all contacts sync.

5. Go to www.icloud.com and you can import your exported Outlook contacts.

6. Fix contacts on the online interface

7. Ensure you have no contact details on your phone (if you have try to figure out where they are coming from) Backup and erase contacts.

8. You have a clean contact list - switch on icloud contact sync. It should show up sooner or later.

9. Any "left-out" contacts can be either imported to icloud.com or entered manually.

You will not see these contacts in Outlook... or you can search for 3rd party components to sync with icloud.

Nov 21, 2012 7:54 AM in response to Midnight412

Hi,

Here is a solution that seems easier to me, posted it on an older post but this one seems actually more active.

This has been an issue for a lot of people lately, including myself.
I personally prefer to have my contacts saved on apple's servers rather than microsoft's 😝 especially since I'm now using several apple devices.

I couldn't find any answers to this on the web, except exporting-importing manually each contact.

Worked that out by myself for a few hours and found this way of doing it "automatically" without the need of a computer, your iDevice will suffice!

Step 1 : have your windows live/exchange contacts synced on the idevice.

Step 2 : Install the Free application "My Contacts Backup" from the AppStore and make a backup.
Step 3 : Send the backup file to yourself via Email.
Step 4 : Make sure that the default contacts account on your iDevice is iCloud in "Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calender - Contacts - default account"

Step 5 : Open the backup file in the mail from the idevice and install all contacts.

Step 6 : Disable the contacts sync function of Exchange in "Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calender - your Echange Account name" if you do not want to have both in your contacts list. This will automatically delete all contacts on the iDevice from your Exchange account.

And Voila! Hope this will help a lot of people 🙂

Oct 11, 2013 8:24 AM in response to Thomas Freymann

Thank you Thomas. Your reply was a big help to me.

I had contacts sync'd from my personal contact list on my work's exchange server to my iPad. It was a clean copy with no duplications and had my personal and work contacts in one place. I wanted to get that clean contact list into my Mac Address Book.

I had tried using the iCloud to "share" the contacts. I ended up with tons of duplicate contacts in Address Book. I would clean it up but it was like chasing a dream. Soon the contacts would have duplicates again.

I turned off the cloud sharing of my contacts. I deleted every contact off my Mac from the Address Book because I knew I had a good clean copy on my iPad.

The free version of MCBackup only handles about 100 contacts. I have nearly 2000 contacts. So I used the $.99 version of MCBackup with unlimited contacts from the App Store to backup my contacts on the iPad. After it backs them up there is an option to email so I emailed them to my personal email. I opened the email on the Mac and dragged the .vcf file to my desktop. I signed into iCloud and selected contacts. I used the import feature and selected the .vcf from the desktop. SUPER!

I turned iCloud contacts back on in my settings and when prompted I selected to merge the accounts.

I opened my Address Book on the Mac and watched the contact fields populate. Eureka! No duplicate contacts and they match my iPad.

Now, how will I keep them in sync...hopefully the icloud will manage it. I will have to do some tinkering to see if that is true or not.

Copy Contacts on my iPhone to iCloud contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.