Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play video podcasts on my TV using via Apple AV cable? After iOS 6 upgrade and being forced to use Podcast app, I'm unable to do this.

I used to be able to play video podcasts on my TV by connecting my iPod touch to the TV via an Apple AV cable. Now that I've upgraded to ios 6 and the podcasts app got installed along with the upgrade, video podcasts will no longer play on my TV when connecting the iPod to the Tv via an Apple AV cable. It should be noted that other video content (movies, TV shows, etc) will play when connecting the iPod to the TV via an Apple AV cable. Is there a setting I need to make that will fix this, or is this yet another bug with the podcasts app? Or is the Podcast app for some reason designed so that you are unable to output a signal via the AV cable when playing back video content (this would be a pretty bad decision on apple's part). Also, I have to say that I'm not happy at all with the Podcasts app, so if there's a way to uninstall it without harming the functionality of ios 6, that would be great.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 8:10 AM

8 replies

Sep 27, 2012 3:44 AM in response to marginalken

Same issue after ios 6 on iPad 3rd Gen: no podcast video displays via the Apple AV 30-pin-to-RCA cable connected to a Smart Board projector. However sound continues to working through this Apple cable to Smart Board's speaker system.

I discovered a workaround by connecting Apple's 30-pin-to-VGA/HDMI connector/adaptor and connected this adaptor to my SmartBoard's VGA2 port connection, however, the workaround results in a noticeable degradation of the video resolution versus prior method of using the AV-RCA cable. Perhaps your setup will allow you to try this type of work-around - not ideal, but better than no display at all until Apple fixes this.

Apple, please ASAP update ios 6 so that it successfully sends its video for podcasts, that are played now via your new Podcasts App, to & through Apple's own 30-pin-to-RCA cable.

Oct 28, 2012 2:06 AM in response to marginalken

I found a workaround that puts podcasts back in the video app as well as the music app so you can watch them on TV via an AV cable again.

The instructions can be found at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaI9GwPKXkE

In short:

1. Make sure both the music and podcast app aren't running on your iPhone.

2. Plug your iPhone into your computer and disable Podcast syncing for your iPhone in iTunes.

3. Remove the podcast app from your iPhone

4. Plug your iPhone into your computer again and turn on podcast syncing, then sync.

5. Turn off and then back on your iPhone.

After I did this, I found podcasts had returned to being listed in my music and video apps.

Hope this helps you too!

Nov 1, 2012 12:58 PM in response to marginalken

I figured out a work around that way easier than what is described above.

1. Right click on the individual podcast in iTunes

2. Select 'Get Info'

3. Select the 'Options' tab

4. Change Media Type to 'Movie'

5. Click 'OK'

6. Sync Device

Your podcast will now show up in the Videos app, and can play out to your TV using the cord we all have learned to love.

Nov 2, 2012 6:27 AM in response to MikeyZen

MikeyZen's workaround works, but also be aware that all podcasts changed in a "wholesale go" will be unceremoniously dumped all together into your Movies, iow, you'll lose all prior categories for all podcasts that *were* in separate podcast categories, so you may want to proceed judiciously with any "wholesale" edits of Media Type if you have many/hundreds/thousands of podcasts.

Nov 2, 2012 9:31 AM in response to rorsean

Please note that in my workaround, and thats all it is, is a workaround, it states to make that change to an INDIVIDUAL podcast. I mentioned nothing about making any across the board changes, or a 'wholesale go.' (Whatever that means). Please be sure to read peoples suggestions carefully before offering advice that does not apply.

Nov 3, 2012 4:26 PM in response to MikeyZen

You are right of course, you did write individual and I meant no derision of your workaround by pointing out that "batch processing" (wholesale go) of multiple podcasts into Movies would result in them all losing whatever sort/category they originally had when they were podcasts, a disastrous result if not anticipated. Of course, none of our proffered work-arounds is/are needed any longer because Apple's updates yesterday to the Podcasts App and to the iOS have completely resolved the issue with the 30-pin-to-RCA cable not displaying its video feed - the cable now works again as it should.

How do I play video podcasts on my TV using via Apple AV cable? After iOS 6 upgrade and being forced to use Podcast app, I'm unable to do this.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.