Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Versions

I'm under the impression that Aperture Versions are basically instructions and so, take up little space on hard drive. If so, why does version show huge MB size? Even larger than original RAW. Does editing in Photoshop or with a plug in constitute an "export". Need to understand this so I can manage. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 9:09 AM

You are correct in your general understanding of Versions. They are actually text files of instructions and metadata applied to the Original on-the-fly.

Aperture makes a consistent (afaict) distinction between "editing" and "adjusting" Images. Adjustments are saved to the Version file. When you edit with a plug-in or an external editor, Aperture creates a new Original (and, as with all new Originals, a null Version).

But note that Aperture never shows you the storage requirement of the Version text file. The storage requirement listed in the metadata is for the Original. (You can verify this by cropping an Image. The storage requirement does not change.)

Using Photoshop, you have three (probably more) choices when saving externally-edited Aperture Images. From smallest to largest storage needed:

- flatten the file before saving

- save layers

- use Smart Objects

Added:

If you want to conserve storage space, you might try setting Aperture to create 8-bit TIFFs for external editing ("Aperture➞Preferences➞Export➞External Editor File Format").

HTH.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2012 9:09 AM in response to bydamanti

You are correct in your general understanding of Versions. They are actually text files of instructions and metadata applied to the Original on-the-fly.

Aperture makes a consistent (afaict) distinction between "editing" and "adjusting" Images. Adjustments are saved to the Version file. When you edit with a plug-in or an external editor, Aperture creates a new Original (and, as with all new Originals, a null Version).

But note that Aperture never shows you the storage requirement of the Version text file. The storage requirement listed in the metadata is for the Original. (You can verify this by cropping an Image. The storage requirement does not change.)

Using Photoshop, you have three (probably more) choices when saving externally-edited Aperture Images. From smallest to largest storage needed:

- flatten the file before saving

- save layers

- use Smart Objects

Added:

If you want to conserve storage space, you might try setting Aperture to create 8-bit TIFFs for external editing ("Aperture➞Preferences➞Export➞External Editor File Format").

HTH.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Sep 24, 2012 10:09 AM in response to bydamanti

bydamanti wrote:

Debating on saving as high JPEG!

My conclusion was to purchase more storage space -- I don't want to have to navigate cascades in my workflow, and storage space is, imho, quite a bargain right now.

If you do purchase new drives, my suggestion is to figure our what you need -- carefully -- and then just before you buy, double it.

Good luck!

Sep 24, 2012 12:26 PM in response to bydamanti

Yes. No, not at all. Sorry to be brief -- search forum for other posts -- basically put the Library on the system drive or a fast ext. drive, and put the Originals _anywhere_. Initial load may be seconds longer, but working speed is very close to the same -- Aperture does an excellent job of memory allocation.

If that's too jumbled to be useful, post back.

Aperture Versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.