Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Configurator and VPP

What is the reason behind purchasing VPP apps on the Mac where we run Apple Configurator? This is per the document HT5188 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5188?viewlocale=en_US

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 9:33 AM

I believe it is to minimize importing and redeem code allocation problems; but if you are a large organization with a lot of devices this will be impractical, as frequently the codes are purchased in a central location and distributed. Where ever possible, I would recommend purchasing on the computer running Configurator, and purchasing only enought apps to cover the number of devices being configured by that computer, but this is not always possible.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2012 9:33 AM in response to LesliSkarphol

I believe it is to minimize importing and redeem code allocation problems; but if you are a large organization with a lot of devices this will be impractical, as frequently the codes are purchased in a central location and distributed. Where ever possible, I would recommend purchasing on the computer running Configurator, and purchasing only enought apps to cover the number of devices being configured by that computer, but this is not always possible.

Sep 24, 2012 9:47 AM in response to gyrhead

We are a large district. You answered my other question about only purchasing enough apps to cover the number of student devices on our carts. We have teachers with 1:1 iPads not superivised by AC and so if I'm understanding you correctly, I should create a separate VPP order for those devices so I don't have to separate out VPP codes for student vs staff.

Sep 24, 2012 9:54 AM in response to LesliSkarphol

Hi Lesli,

You could use an MDM solution like Meraki Systems Manager (free) http://www.meraki.com/products/systems-manager/ . Purchase VPP codes for your 1:1 teachers. Add the VPP codes to Meraki and distribute to teachers. That way the teachers wouldn't have to tie back to the AC computer. Meraki (and other MDMs) can do things wirelessly.

You could also email VPP codes to the teachers and have them redeem the codes with their own Apple IDs.

But to answer your question, yes you should create a separate VPP order for carts vs your 1:1 teachers.

Hope this helps!

~Joe

Sep 24, 2012 10:02 AM in response to nsdjoey

Solid advice, but the teacher iPads will have to be enrolled in the MDM first. One way of doing this is to prepare them in AC and have the MDM profile installed through AC. When the VPP code is distributed to the devices via MDM the teachers will be prompted to install the paid app , and have to enter an Apple Id (presumably theirs). Free apps can also be distributed in this manner.

Apple Configurator and VPP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.