Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My VIP folder in my email list disappeared. What I can do to retrieve it?

My VIP folder in my email list disappeared. What I can do to retieve it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 9:38 AM

Do you have more than one email account open in your mail? I noticed last week when I had two open, the VIP section moved over to the section on the main email page where it shows "All Inboxes". maybe it's there...

12 replies

Oct 1, 2012 12:42 AM in response to sdgreeno

My Mail VIP list which I devotedly set up for about 20 people using the finding names in Mail - a laborious task.. and then found I could actually tag them in my Contacts Address Book with an ADD TO VIP

I looked today and it has TOTALLY disappeared over the weekend. So teh nice stars against the important emails have all gone and ignoring all the advertising is not as easy..

Added to which there is now NO button in the Address Book screen with which to Add VIP..

Apple giveth and Apple taketh away..

Anyone know if I can restore the original or at least guarantee keeping any new ones I add. Is it the iCloud problems over the weekend😢

Nov 20, 2012 2:37 PM in response to sdgreeno

I too, lost my VIP folder, did some research and found a solution that worked.

Locate an email (any email) from someone you'd like to mark as VIP in Apple Mail. Hover over that person's name in the from field — it doesn't actually say "from" but it should be obvious what I'm referring to — the name above the "to" field. A gray outline of a star should appear ... click this star and your VIP folder should reappear below your Inbox(es) and above your "flagged" and "sent" folders in the left margin of your viewer window. Hope this helps.

User uploaded file

Feb 23, 2015 8:41 AM in response to sandifromcoombabah

The answer above does cause the app to redraw the VIP list, which I think is maybe flakey as it is tied into the iCloud services in a way that, while probably very simple, isn't obvious at a glance. In my case, about 90% of the time I can just quit and restart mail, and the list is back - as long as I'm connected to a network that can see all the way to Apple.com/the internet at large.

Makes me wonder if starting the mail app without internet connectivity (i.e., launching it before I've selected a wireless network) is the cause.Totally speculating as i have not had time to really test it yet, but it comes up frequently with my IT clients.

JC

My VIP folder in my email list disappeared. What I can do to retrieve it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.