Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't eject disk image from Finder in Mountain Lion

I just got a new MacBook pro. I'm running Mountain Lion (10.8.2). Any time I try to unmount an external hard drive or eject a disk image from the Finder, nothing happens (either clicking the contextual eject icon or right-clicking). The items in question are not in use when I try to eject them. I'm only able to do so with Disk Utility. Any ideas? I've repaired disk permissions but the problem persists.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 10:05 AM

16 replies

Sep 24, 2012 12:28 PM in response to jessemellon

Have you emptied the trash? I have found that if there is anything in the trash that came from the disc image, the disc image will sometimes fail to eject.

Also, even though you have nothing open ("in use") in the disc image, are there any apps that are open that were used with something in the disc image? Make sure that all apps are closed.

Nov 2, 2014 5:37 PM in response to jessemellon

I am having similar issues with my user account. It also is the same in Yosemite.

Disc images, external hard drives etc dragged to trash (get eject icon) are simply ignored.

Pressing Eject button in side bar of Finder are ignored.

It seems to be a permission/account issue as:

- using computer under a different account doesnt have this problem

- transferring account over to another mac continues the problem on the new computer.

Log file seems not to have any errors.

Feb 2, 2016 3:58 AM in response to Stash

I have this same problem as well.

Started when I upgraded my 2010 MacBook Pro from Snow Leopard to Mavericks in 2014 and it carried across to my new 2014 MacBook Pro Retina when I used Migration Assistant.

Extremely annoying. I've been using Disk Utility to unmount hard drives and disk images for nearly 2 years now. Thinking the only way around it is to freshly install OS X again and all the apps.

Frankly, getting quite sick of perfectly simple feature of Mac OS starting to fail and Apple not picking it up during testing.

Can't eject disk image from Finder in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.