Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audiobooks Have Disappeared

In the past I had imported my CD audiobooks into iTunes and then uploaded them to my older iPod. After my update to iTunes 10.7.0.21 the books option in iTunes has disappeared. I created a playlist of a book and although it appears in my playlist in iTunes it does not download to my iPod. Has Apple done something to eliminate all audio books except those purchased from the iTunes store?

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 11:21 AM

15 replies

Sep 24, 2012 12:45 PM in response to planb77

Thanks for you interest with my problem. When I posted my original message there was no Books category in the upper left corner. After digging into the preferences menu I check marked the Books category under sources and my books re-appeared! However after syncing again they still don't show-up under Audiobooks on my iPod.

Sep 25, 2012 11:12 AM in response to planb77

I now have a Books, but not Audiobooks, tab listed for my iPod device when connected. When looking in the iTunes folder I find all of the individual tracks for my books listed however when I navigate to the Audiobooks screen on my iPod, after it is synced and disconnected, there are no contents shown. My playlists that I have created beginning with "Book -" are also now appearing on the iPod so in worst case I can use them to listen to my books. I would still like to know what I need to do to have the books appear in the Audiobooks area of my iPod.

Sep 25, 2012 11:59 AM in response to BobG52

Plug your iPod into your PC and select it from under Devices in the left hand pane of iTunes. Over to the right, locate the Books tab along the top and click on it. Under this tab, you can configure how and what audiobooks sync to your iPod. If you make any changes to this tab, be sure to the Apply button in the lower right hand corner to sync the updated changes to your device.

B-rock

Sep 25, 2012 1:32 PM in response to planb77

I went to the tab you described and found that the SyncAudiobooks box had been checked along with all audiobooks. ( I must have been here before but did not recall the screen.) This screen shows I have 3 audiobooks. I cliked on the sync button below and then ejected the iPod. Unfortunately the books did not appear under the Audiobooks screen. I re-attached the iPod, unchecked the sync feature, and re-synced the iPod. This action also removed the book playlists I had created that were shown under the Music screen. I then re-checked the boxes on the books configuration tab and re-synced the iPod. The book playlists re-appeared under the music playlists but unfortunately the Audiobooks screen is still blank.

Sep 26, 2012 10:27 AM in response to planb77

You will probably be amused at the age of my iPod, it is a 60GB iPod with color display purchased in late 2005. I suspect there aren't many of these still around but it has been very dependable and has allowed me to carry my entire music library with me wherever I go as well as listen to audiobooks while on the road. Is it possible the library file could be corrupted? It has been copied accross 3 computer platforms, all Windows based. Thanks again for your interest in resolving this problem.

Sep 26, 2012 11:30 AM in response to BobG52

Thanks for hanging in there with me this long. Kudos for still using such an old device. I actually have an 80 GB iPod Video that came out a little while after your 60 GB version was released.

Configure the audiobooks to sync to your iPod agian via its Books configuration tab and make sure that Sync Audiobooks is ticked from under that same tab. Hit the Apply button in the lower right hand corner if necessary.

When the iPod has finished syncing, disconnect it and navigate to Settings -> About. How many audiobooks does it say are on the device?

B-rock

Sep 26, 2012 1:30 PM in response to BobG52

Hmmm. I can't find a reference to either at the moment, so lets move on. I assume you are looking for your audiobooks under Music -> Audiobooks correct?

Did your audiobooks appear as they should at one point time and only recently stopped? I believe that is the case if I understand your posts from above.

B-rock

Sep 26, 2012 1:58 PM in response to planb77

They did not appear as Audiobooks in the past. I had been using playlists created under Music to listen to books but had wanted to have them available as Audiobooks for the playback features. When I first started this post, right after upgrading to the latest version of iTunes, book tracks were completely gone, even as a separately created playlist under my music. Only after I discovered and checked the missing checkmark in the box under iTunes Preferences did they re-appear as playlists under music on the iPod. Checking the box also caused the Books folder to show up again in iTunes. (I am confident I didn't uncheck this box.) I guess I should have been more specific on the details of the problem as this dialogue progressed.

Audiobooks Have Disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.