Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios6 causing excessive data usage?

Since downloading iOS 6 I'm having major issues with my cellular data usage going through the roof! I used 1.5g yesterday and that was after going into every available setting and turning them off! Ie location services/icloud and all others! The only setting which uses data I have left on was literally the cellular data setting! I don't know why this is happening as I've never had an issue before since owning the very first iPhone! Is anyone having the same problem or know a fix? Any help would be much appreciated!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6, iOS 6 using excessive data

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 11:13 AM

373 replies

Oct 10, 2018 1:09 AM in response to Christopher Parrott

I'm having a similar issue on my new iPhone 5 on AT&T. It's not the same issue Verizon seemed to have, as I don't seem to be using data when on wifi. But when I'm not on wifi, my date use is astronomical. My monthly average for the last two years has been 200-400mb of data use. Right now I'm sitting at 1.3gb of use. I supposedly used over 200 mb of data just reading the NYT website for 20 minutes. I hope they get this resolved soon.

And for those that advance turning cell data off--that is an unacceptable solution. I should not have to change the phone-using habits that have used 200-400mb of data per month for the past few years because of a problem with the phone/network/both.

Sep 24, 2012 11:42 AM in response to Arda152

The usage has been used since the download! I downloaded ios6 on the wed through wifi and on the thurs I got a warning through that my data usage was almost up! I called 02 and told them about my usage as I never use my 500mb a month and they reset my data! Later that day I had another message from o2 saying the same! I called them bk saying that I've hardly used my phone and they reset it once again! Just to put into perspective I reset my data counter on my phone and within 15 mins I'd used 97mb!! And my battery decreased at record rate also!

Sep 24, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Christopher Parrott

I have a similar problem. Since upgrading my iPhone 4 to iOS6 on Thursday my cellular data usage has gone through the roof and my battery life has plummeted. In 5 days I have used 90% of my monthly data allowance of 3GB. I have never come close to using my full data allowance in an entire month over the last 2 years. I have now had to switch off cellular data all together to avoid excessive data charges. I have also noticed that my iPhone gets much hotter than it ever has before (I have had it for a while). The other strange thing that is happening since the upgrade is that the time needed to get a 100% charge is much longer. I have no idea why any of this is happening. I would be interested to see if other iPhone 4 users are having similar issues since upgrading to iOS6.

Sep 24, 2012 2:38 PM in response to Christopher Parrott

I've got the same problem. Updated to ios6 and from that point its burnt 1.5gb in 2-3 days. I've never done that in a month rang vodafone and. It's uploading data and downloading at 12am .. On its own. Doing more research on this and It could be sending dianostic/useage info away every day at 12am I wish they tell us these things. Now I'm out of data . 26 days before my contract renews and have to pay for more data witch apple stole to enhance there own product

Sep 24, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Christopher Parrott

It can be turned off by going to general - about - then diagnostic &useage

They are arse holes as it comes turned on when you download the software update it's upto the user to turn it off That is if you know what your doing. I'm looking at the licensing of the software to see if it says they can use our internet connection /data without contributing to the data bill

Sep 24, 2012 3:49 PM in response to Kawa102

The other thing I have noticed is that my work email account, which use IMAP, had not downloaded new mail successfully since I upgraded to iOS6. I have been through all the settings and they were all correct. As a last resort I deleted the account from my iPhone and re-added it. It is now working fine. I wonder if the data usage could be associated with this email account continually attempting to access email unsuccessfully?

Sep 24, 2012 4:09 PM in response to Christopher Parrott

This happened to one user in our family plan after he updated his 4S with iOS6.

Massive outgoing data charges caused him to use over 70% of his 2GB in just 5 days. It shows this data being used at night, but really this is how ATT clumps together all the usage at the end of the day--it is not real time, as ATT confirmed for me.

It is all data that is being SENT. So, that leads me to believe there is a bad bug in the update that is causing some endless loop of transmission. There is no app yet that will show you exactly which apps/programs are sending the data. Nothing else on the phone changed--all the settings for data blah blah blah were unchanged. Before this iOS update, this phone used only half of the 2GB allowance monthly. Now it is on track to suddenly use that within a week!!!

ATT acted like they are surprised this can happen if you are on wifi. Well, I've also learned today that when your phone idles in order to save battery use, it disconnects from wifi and goes to 3G. Short term solution is to plug it in. Also turn off the cellular data use when not needed. This is not the long term answer. Apple needs to fix the software and or my son's phone.

Incidentally, another user on our 5 phone plan also updated to iOS6 last week but does not have any change to data use. The rest of us are holding out on the software update until this is fixed. I still think it has to be something that went wrong with my son's download. Even spyware would be more subtle than that!

He can't get an appointment until tomorrow at Apple. In the meantime, staying plugged in and on wifi. Under iCloud/Documents & Data, make sure use cellular is off for iCloud storing. I hope someone finds, and shares, the answers.

Sep 25, 2012 1:23 PM in response to Christopher Parrott

I've got some very shady data usage showing up on Verizon as well. Over 300 MB yesterday afternoon while I was sitting in a Starbucks (not using my phone and not on their wifi). Five minutes prior to the 300 MB hit was a 70 MB hit. There's no possible way that I've used this much data.

A few days ago I had a 315 MB post to my account while I was driving home from the airport. They said that particular data session lasted "360 minutes." I had just been on a commercial flight for an hour, so I don't know how that's possible.

Additionally, the last two mornings I've had data usage of 41 MB and 65 MB while I was asleep (not connected to wifi).

I made sure all the pertinent things were turned off, but I've since disabled everything to try and quell this problem while a solution is found....

Ios6 causing excessive data usage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.