Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I update my iMac? And how do I do that???

My husband and I were recently given an older iMac. I am not familar with mac's at all and I am having some difficulty getting the computer connected to the internet. Went to best buy last weekend and the gentleman told me that I needed an apple air port express to connect. I purchased it and got it home to find out that it won't install becuase I am running Mac OS X Panter version 10.3. I have also since then discovered that this computer has the old PowerPC processess and not intel and only has 1.25 GB of memory (which isn't much right?).

I would like to upgrade this computer for my kids to use. I would like it to be able to connect to the internet, and be able to install programs on it for them to use for school papers, etc. I am worried that it is going to be too much for a "Free" computer. What would I have to do to upgrade, what do I need to upgrade it to? Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreicated at this point.

Thank you,

Tisha User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x), 1.25 GB Memory, see photo for more

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 11:40 AM

1 reply

Sep 24, 2012 2:42 PM in response to MooreMommy

Based on the pic you provided, you can upgrade to Tiger OS 10.4.x or Leopard OS 10.5.x. However, neither Apple or computer stores have copies. You can do a Google/eBay search, but the installers will usually cost $100+. The install discs must be black and not gray, which are model specific.

An alternative would be to connect the iMac directly to your router with an ethernet cable.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Can I update my iMac? And how do I do that???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.