Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I exchange my black iPhone 5 for a white one?

I have been seeing all the scuffed black iPhone 5s on the internet, my black iPhone is scheduled to arrive friday, can i swap it out for a white one if its unopened at an apple store??

iPhone 5, iOS 6, Scuffed iPhone

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 12:08 PM

13 replies

Sep 24, 2012 12:45 PM in response to mdn67

I am sure they will come out with film protectors for the back of the iPhone 5 just as they did for iPhone 4 and 4S when the word got out they were glass and could break. The word is out that the aluminum backs scratch easily and that scratches show more on the slate (black phone) than on the silver.

Oct 1, 2012 9:08 AM in response to mdn67

I have a black one, and I regret it. I should have gotten white. I am going to see if I can get an exchange. The scuffs/scratches on mine are appearing on the edges, and they appear silver. The White phone has silver edges already, so the exposed aluminum won't look nearly as bad if it gets a scratch or a scuff. I wish I had considered this more the first time.

Oct 1, 2012 9:24 AM in response to The Pittmans

I am sure some folks just won't want their gorgeous new iPhone 5 in a case, but based on the fact that the iPhone 5 (white or black) has an anodized aluminum back, they will be susceptible to denting. The previous iPhone models have had a glass back (much more dent resistant). There are numerous great cases to consider, with many already available. I use the Otterbox Defender which incased the phone inclusive of a front piece of plastic that protects the phone but works very well with the touch panel. There make thinner case that also afford dent and scratch protection and also more expensive cases that are also water-proof. I have the black iPhone 5 and my Granddaughter has the white. Both are fantastic looking, but we both quickly put them in a case. If you plan on carrying your iPhone 5 in a pocket you may want to avoid the cases made of material that would be hard to pull out of your pocket to answer a call.

Can I exchange my black iPhone 5 for a white one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.