Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Firmware Password

Im trying to update firmware on my SSD drive. However, when I hold down the option key it requires a password to select a disk. This does not allow for the .iso imagine, on the DVD, to be seen so I can update my drive. How do I remove this requirment in 10.8.2?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2016 9:29 PM

Hey, try this, it might help you remove your forgotten firmware password. Try removing 1 stick of ram from your computer, leave the other one alone, then turn on your computer, then write away press and hold the command, option, p, and r keys. After you here the startup chime beep 4 times, you can release the keys, then turn off your computer and put the stick of ram you removed, you should be good to go. Let me know if this helps you.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2016 9:29 PM in response to mtnbk7

Hey, try this, it might help you remove your forgotten firmware password. Try removing 1 stick of ram from your computer, leave the other one alone, then turn on your computer, then write away press and hold the command, option, p, and r keys. After you here the startup chime beep 4 times, you can release the keys, then turn off your computer and put the stick of ram you removed, you should be good to go. Let me know if this helps you.

Aug 17, 2017 10:01 PM in response to adamclad

Another method that I used is: assuming you can log into OS X and have sudo abilities then open the terminal and type "sudo nvram -p" where the password will be your login password. It will display the security password string. Then type "sudo nvram -d security-password". Reboot. Should be gone. Then you can reboot and hold down command-R to boot into the recovery console and set a new password or just leave it alone. At any rate, I've had to do this a few times myself as I forget what I set the firmware password to.

Sep 24, 2012 12:34 PM in response to mtnbk7

• Restart the computer, holding down the Command and R keys during boot up. This will boot you to the Recovery System.
  • If prompted, select the language you want the Recovery Partition to use.
  • Click Utilities from the menu and then click Firmware Password Utility from the menu
  • From the dialog box, click the Turn off Firmware Password button.
  • Enter the password you used.
  • Click Turn off Firmward Password and restart your computer.

Remove Firmware Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.