Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6 on 3GS Dismal Battery Life

Since updating to iOS 6 last week, my 3GS has turned into a mess. Battery life has gone from quite good to dismal. I have tried to figure out why the battery is going flat within just a few hours with minimal use, where on 5.1.1 it lasted for days.

Many of the so called features of iOS 6 have been stripped back to minimal or no value at all. Maps does not include 3D on the 3GS and it is certainly not near as good as Google Maps was. ViIP in email does not appear to work properly. There are a myriad of other issues, but the main issue is battery life is absolutely a mess.

Can I move this back to 5.1.1? Apple Genius said they could not revert it for me and would only offer to sell me a new 3GS which they say still has 5.1.1 on it, but I am not sure if that will allow me to get my applications on it and keep the old system software. I tried to restore back to 5.1.1, but it would not allow me to go backwards.

iOS 6 is a mess on the 3GS. Please offer help. I really regret this update big time.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 1:40 PM

14 replies

Sep 24, 2012 5:41 PM in response to M4A

Same here downloaded it today and noticed a considerable change in the heat output within a couple of hours. Came home and did a reboot and charge pulled it off after putting a full charge on it and a couple of hours later after no use it was down to 40%.

Plan to do a fill reset overnight tonight to see if that helps.

Sep 24, 2012 5:52 PM in response to SCameron

I have rebooted, tried to go back to 5.1.1 nothing works. I would be happy to know if there are settings that have been reset so that I can keep the battery from running down so fast - it's really bad. All mail is on manual pull not push. I have turned off everything I know. I do run bluetooth for my car, but that has not been killing the phone's battery before this upgrade.

Apple Store did do a diagnostics on it, but said battery and all is fine. I can only say that iO6 is hogging resourses on the phone to the point it just burns the battery down really fast, probably 5-10 times faster than before.

Look, I understand it is an old model, but it worked perfectly fine on 5.1.1 and now it is a total mess. I doubt highly Apple did any testing of this on the 3GS at all - its almost like we are the Beta testers. Who knows, but it is really not good. Now my latest issue is it does not see my SIM card as I must restart the phone to find it and even then, it loses it.

Someone at Apple has to be looking at this issue. I cannot be alone. It appears a larger number of 3GS users have posted various trouble on the internet. I can only hope Apple does something and soon.

Sep 24, 2012 8:18 PM in response to M4A

It would probably be useful to all involved if you could post the first 5 digits (starting from the left) of your 3GS's serial number, which defines the date it was manufactured. (ex: 84928) It can be found under Settings, General, About. For privacy, don't post the entire serial number. Not all 3GS units have the same internal hardware. Perhaps there is a correlation between those folks who are having poor battery life on their 3GS with iOS 6 and the date of its manufacture. Also, if your 3GS was jailbroken on 5.1.1, you might as well admit that too so engineers don't have to waste time. Obviously this is an Apple support forum, not a jailbreaking forum. And for the record, I'm just the owner of a 3GS, not an Apple employee. I intend to keep my unit on iOS 5.1.1 until there is more information on this problem.

Sep 24, 2012 9:48 PM in response to M4A

I am too facing issues with Battery Life on my iphone 3GS after updating IOS 6. My phone is working abnormally & is heating too much. Battery drains to 50% in just 2-3 hrs on 2G network.

Apple has also stopped signing 5.1.1 so I can't downgrade also. Would request apple to allow 5.1.1 downgrade on 3GS as same has become mess.

Sep 25, 2012 12:40 AM in response to M4A

Hi Guys,

I'm using iPhone 3gs and when I have the same issue when I update it to ios6 with regards to the battery life issue but right now, its already back to normal.

1. Open your computer and itunes then plugin your phone

2. backup your iphone data

3. Restore to factory default settings

4. Restore backup data to your iphone

5. Lastly, Turn-off unnecessary settings, Turn-on if only needed.

Hope it works for you, because it works to my phone.

Sep 29, 2012 7:45 AM in response to M4A

From what I've read, Apple stopped signing 5.1.1, so unless you are a jailbreaker and know what that means (and took the necessary steps BEFORE upgrading) you can't go back to 5.1.1 after upgrading to iOS 6. Also, the few serial numbers posted tells me this problem occurs on any age of 3GS. Ex: serial number 84012 would have been built in 2010 (the 3rd digit is the last digit of the year) and in the 12th week of the year. So it's not the hardware or the unit's age. The means some new feature or capability is causing the drain. I've done more searches on this problem, and one post says this occurs even when the phone is in airplane mode. Whatever the case may be, I'm definately NOT upgrading anytime soon.

Oct 1, 2012 12:15 PM in response to M4A

Same problem here. Iphone 3GS worked fine (no jailbreaking), updated to iOS6. Next working day battery at 30% by 13:00 with hardly any use. On the way home I had to charge it in my car just to make a call.

Yesterday the phone froze on me completely for the very first time in 3 years.

I really expect more from Apple! At least Apple should enable downgrading to 5.1.1

I'll try the reset described by tunok

iOS 6 on 3GS Dismal Battery Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.