Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I getting errors when I use Indian numerals ?

Why do I getting errors when I use Indian numerals using Arabic keyboard , for example if I switch to arabic keyboard layout and try to write a number in number field in FileMaker or set page dimensions in adobe indesign , I get errors?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 2:03 PM

10 replies

Sep 25, 2012 5:15 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

good point Tom,

it actually happens in safari too if i write the ip address using the arabic keybaord layout , i get error too as if it doesnot accept the indian numerals as numbers.

example : if i write ip address 192.168.1.3 it is ok , i go there, but if i write ١٩٢٫١٦٨٫١٫٣ (which is the same) i get error

User uploaded file

Sep 25, 2012 5:29 AM in response to MBosty

MBosty wrote:

if i write ip address 192.168.1.3 it is ok , i go there, but if i write ١٩٢٫١٦٨٫١٫٣ (which is the same) i get error

But those are not at all "the same". IP addresses must be in "arabic" numerals. The data codes used by the "indian" numerals are totally different, and as far as I know there are no servers that will respond to them.

Sep 25, 2012 6:10 AM in response to MBosty

I think Tom has nailed it, but grant me this elaboration.

Foreign languages and their numeric characters are different to computer languages, which have their own prescribed inputs.

In your applications, Filemaker, Adobe etc , or for ip addresses, using different numeric characters for preference settings will be read by the software as invalid.

If in software, a number field expects a numeric '7', and you typed the string 'seven' the software would see that as invalid, just as if you entered '७' or '&', i.e the numeric field accepts only 'values' based on the 0 to 9 array and no others.

Sep 25, 2012 6:24 AM in response to MBosty

MBosty wrote:

is there any way i can use to write arabic text and arabic numerals without having to switch the keyboard layout

Yes, many people have that need, so it has been provided for.

On the iPad, you just hold down the key for an Indian number and you will get a popup where you can choose the Arabic version.

On a hardware keyboard, with the Arabic qwerty layout, you just hit the caps lock key.

Sep 25, 2012 7:14 AM in response to MBosty

MBosty wrote:

so it works only on Arabic qwerty layout not Arabic PC layout

It certainly does work on my Arabic PC layout (provided by Apple in 10.7). Is yours different?

User uploaded file

For the iPad, using the "globe" key makes it pretty easy to change layouts if you prefer that. To tell Apple you want to see improvements, you can use:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Sep 25, 2012 7:49 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

OK I got it , it just doesnot work from the numbers pad to the right of the keyboard, it only works from the numbers at the top of the letters.

It is wiered though as numbers typed from the numbers pad using Arabic Qwerty are always "Arabic" while using Arabic PC will always give you "Indian" numerals wether the Caps Lock is on or off.

Thanks Tom

Sep 25, 2012 10:17 AM in response to MBosty

MBosty wrote:

numbers typed from the numbers pad using Arabic Qwerty are always "Arabic" while using Arabic PC will always give you "Indian" numerals wether the Caps Lock is on or off.

Interesting! I haven't had numbers pad for awhile and did not realize that. You could make a custom keyboard layout to change that by using

http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele

Why do I getting errors when I use Indian numerals ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.