Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera app crashing after iOS 6

Recently updated to the latest iOS 6. Has anyone noticed that the camera app and almost all the apps crash more often than usual?

I hope they fix this soon.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 2:18 PM

16 replies

Sep 30, 2012 5:18 AM in response to chris48360

This is happening to me too. Instagram crashes when taking a photo but I was then taking them in the camera app, going back to Instagram and uploading and that works. However today I tried taking a photo in the camera app and it just black screened and went back to the home page. Same for every other camera app I tried. I turned my phone off and back on and it then worked. Maybe try that if you haven't already. Hope this bug is fixed in an update soon.

Oct 1, 2012 4:26 AM in response to chris48360

Same here! Video doesn't work either. I've missed countless cute moments already with my 2-year-old, the most recent last night when I was packing for a work trip. She put all her stuffed animals into my suitcase and then climbed in herself. I tried the iPhone camera, iPhone video, and Instagram. Each crashed as soon as I tried to execute. Unacceptable.

Oct 15, 2012 1:25 AM in response to chris48360

I spotted this yesterday. I was taking photos in standard mode (HDR off) and a friend without an iPhone was impressed with the quality. I went to show them with HDR on as the lighting would have produced a really dramatic image, Autumn day so dark land and bright sky, and the app crashed returning to the Home screen. It continued to do this for several photos and then one managed to take.

Needless to say the friend was left unimpressed.

You have to wonder what Apple's code release procedure is. I could understand some obscue features not being covered by regression testing but the camera app, your own camera app at that.

C'mon Apple, pull your fingers out!!!!!!

Nov 26, 2012 2:43 AM in response to chris48360

I called Apple and asked what to do. They advised me to do the usual stuff as restore etc. which I already has done multiple times. At the end they asked me to send in the iPad and guess what... after three days a new iPad was deliverd!

Great service. Bottom line: In my case there was a hardware failure that only shows up with IOS6. If problems persist, call Apple for service.

Dec 20, 2012 4:18 PM in response to chris48360

I was looking into this more as the issue had started to happen even without HDR mode selected. Every time the app crashed I got a log report showing a low memory error with the camera app as the front most. This would suggest why a restart would temporarily fix the issue but it looks like apple ios developers are taking some programming leasons from Microsoft when it comes to memory management.

Camera app crashing after iOS 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.