Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I play World of Warcraft on my macbook pro with mac os x Lion?

Hi I recently lost my former Macbook pro (early 2011) and bought a new (late 2011) and the operating system was Snow leopard with my former wich had PPC/Rosetta but with the new one I got had mac os x lion. And when I tried to install WoW but it said that it couldn't read the disc due to no PPC/Rosetta. I would love to play WoW again and I need help, should I degrade to Snow Leopard? Or does Mountain Lion have PPC/Rosetta? Or is there a app that is like a subsitute fro PPC/Rosetta? Any help would be more than welcome!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 3:39 PM

2 replies

Sep 24, 2012 10:03 PM in response to Community User

Game playing has been complicated by the loss of Rosetta when Lion was introduced last year.

The best answer would be for the WoW developer to update their software for Intel Macs; something they have had 6 years to do. In the meantime, your options are:

1. Purchase a used Mac to play WoW;

2. Downgrade your new MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard, but others will have to tell you if this is possible for your version;

3. If the new MacBook Pro can be downgraded, then it could also do a "dual-boot" from Snow Leopard installed on either a partition of the internal hard drive or an external hard drive;

4. Install Windows into Bootcamp and/or Parallels and run the Windows version, if available;

5. Install Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) in Parallels. I have no experience with Wow, but some games with complex graphics do not work well in virtualization; you will have to try it to experience it.

Full installation instructions for Snow Leopard into Parallels:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

Jul 11, 2013 2:54 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

I'm not particularly sure if you have found a solution to the issue.

I take that your World of Warcraft client is genuine and activated, if so you should be able to login to the battle.net website and download a Mac specific client.

Or if it's not genuine, i'm sure there is a link to the Mac download somewhere and just not use a retail server.

Other than that i have no other suggestions.

Nearly a year late, but better than never right? 🙂

How can I play World of Warcraft on my macbook pro with mac os x Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.