Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion to Mountain Lion on an external HD

Just a quick one - bit confused how to procede - I installed Lion successfully on a new external HD - I now want to upgrade that volume to Mountain Lion and am not sure where I should be to download and upgrade - my imac is running SL with a bootcamp - I have Leopard on an external with PPC apps- I have lion on another external which is running fine

Do I boot to Lion to perform the upgrade or Snow Leopard? or doesn't it matter?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mid 2010 27" 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i3

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 4:35 PM

1 reply

Sep 24, 2012 4:56 PM in response to Alan Lees

Alan Lees wrote:

I installed Lion successfully on a new external HD - I now want to upgrade that volume to Mountain Lion

Boot from that volume. Go to AppStore purchase ML and DL it. When it finishishes DLing it will open an install window. Before you install, quit out of the installer. Go to Applications and copy "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" off to some other media. This is because it self-destructs after install, so if you ever need it again you don't have to go through the DL again.

Then double-click the "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" in your Applications folder and you're off and running.

Lion to Mountain Lion on an external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.