Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage texting the US

I have a Canadian account and was wondering:

Can I use iMessage to send texts to my daugher who lives in the US for free; she has a 3GS. If I use iMessage to send a text while I am in the US to anyone in the world who has an iphone (eg., my wife who is in the States with me), ipad or mac computer and am I using data (3G with roaming charges or wifi) to do so?

GH

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 9:49 PM

Yes, iMessage uses data. The only cost for the iMessage is the data costs. If I was roaming, I would turn off Send as SMS though, as normally international SMS are expensive.

8 replies

Sep 24, 2012 10:07 PM in response to GH

Well, depending on your carrier, it would be better to use iMessage than SMS. You could use iMessage over wi-fi instead of cellular data if you want. Like I said, normally international SMS is expensive, but then data roaming can be as well. You can turn cellular data off and just use iMessage when connected to wi-fi, or pay the high cost of individual SMS.

Sep 24, 2012 10:13 PM in response to GH

That is correct. Using a wi-fi connection does not use cellular data, you are using data via wi-fi. Since iMessage uses data, that is free. Of course if the person on the other end is not on wi-fi, it would count against their data usage, but if you are both on wi-fi, there is no cost to anyone. Same as sending an email via wi-fi, or surfing the web via wi-fi.

May 17, 2013 1:48 PM in response to GH

Hi, this is what I have to do because I am Canadian and my boyfriend is American, I am back and forth between borders and use imessage via wifi to text my friends in Canada. I have my phone set to Airplane mode and my wifi turned back on. Is this the best way around it. I just don't want my phone seaching for service because it kills my battery. But everytime my phone "goes to sleep" my imessages come through and I got to imessage back and it tells me to take it off airplane mode to send/receive imessages"? But if I click cancel it still continues to work. If I click disable I'm back to square one lol. So do I just keep clicking cancel or is there another way to fix this?! Thanks.

iMessage texting the US

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.