Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you delete songs on the iphone 5.

Tried to delete a couple of songs on the iphone 5 thought it would be the same as on the 3gs just swipe next to the song and delete appears.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 12:49 AM

I've tried everything I can think of.

It will cause problems eventually.

26 replies

Sep 25, 2012 1:38 AM in response to Iammoo

hit "MUSIC" then hit "SONGS

Find the song you want to delete and do a right to left swipe with your finger. A RED box that says DELETE appears. Tap DELETE if you want to remove the song. I tried it, it works on my iphone 5

It may reappear the next time you 'SYNC" unless it is deleted from iTunes.

Your best solution is to make playlists and sync playlists to your device. iTunes has tutorials under the HELP menu to show you about making playlists.

Another option is to use the "Sync only selected songs" option.

Lastly, when connected to iTunes and your phone shows up as the DEVICE, you can click the arrow by the phones name which opens a drop down list of the contents of the phone, music, videos, podcasts, etc. you can try to delete it from within iTunes that way if the regular right to left finger sweep method above did not work.

Oh, Also, I think if you uncheck the song in your music library in iTunes, it won't syncthat somg to your phone, in case you wanted to keep it on itunes

Dec 21, 2012 9:00 AM in response to Iammoo

I use iTunesMatch but when I purchase a song from my iPhone it downloads the file -- which I don't want. Here's what I do (Only if you subscribe to iTunesMatch)

On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings

2. Select "Music"

3. Turn OFF "Show All Music"

4. Open the Music app

5. Select "Songs" on the bottom tab (It it's not there select "More")

6. Swipe each song title and delete one at a time.

7. Go back to "Settings"

8. Select "Music"

9. Turn "ON" "Show All Music"

10. Return to Music app and all of your songs will be there (via iTunesMatch)

You're done. You now have access to all music stored in iTunesMatch.

Jan 13, 2013 7:06 AM in response to Iammoo

Dave

I think iTunes Match works very well. It is just different.

Bedsides having my total 'library in Songs", I manage my music through playlists managed on iTunes.

Playlists like iPhone Rock, iPhone Country are created in iTunes by dragging songs from my library the playlists. These sync automatically with my iPhone over wifi and if I want to edit those lists I just remove them from my iTunes playlist and they disappear from my Iphone playlist.

They are not being synced by the "sync with wifi" button in iTunes but are being synced through iTunes Match.

I also create pLaylist on my iPhone and they are synced to my computer Itunes automatically

BTW, I think what you will fins is that when you turn iTunes Match back on they will reappear on you iPhone as "cloud" songs. iTunes Match is meant to be managed in iTunes.

Cheers

Jul 7, 2013 6:31 PM in response to Iammoo

you can delete all songs in your library by using these steps:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Go to General
  3. Go to Usage
  4. Press Music
  5. in the top right - Press Edit
  6. Press the Red Minus Circle
  7. Press Delete

I use iMatch and filled up my phone and this worked to free up more than 6 GB

This also freed up the "Other" used space on my iphone5

Hope this helps!

Sep 20, 2013 7:55 AM in response to Iammoo

Hi guys i recently ran into trouble trying to delete some music off my phone. I tried ALL the steps everyone posted here but NONE of them worked, so after hours of pulling my hair out i figured out in my case anyway... it was as simple as this:

All i had to do was copy the song back onto my phone only then i could use the "swipe" function to delete it.

More Info:

(all music had been delete but the ones i couldn't) I could see the songs on my iPhone but it wouldn't let me swipe to delete, They were in light grey writing as apposed to the normal black writing, so like i said i opened iTunes and plugged my phone into my computer, and i clicked and dragged the song to the iPhone icon in iTunes (top right corner) and dropped it on my phone icon under devices, then re-sync'd my phone, then i was able to swipe to deleted off my phone.

Hope this helps!.

How do you delete songs on the iphone 5.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.