Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating custom ringtones for iOS 6 on iPhone 5

Hey folks,

I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

I have read several other threads pertaining to this subject. I have been downloading my sound files from Zedge. The file formats that I am receiving are in m4r. When I attempt to drag them to my 'Tones' tab in iTunes, it automatically tosses them into my 'Music' tab. So I went through the entire process of creating AAC versions of all files and then renamed them from m4a to m4r. All of my files range from 2 to 30 seconds in length. I have tried the process many times over and I can't seem to figure it out. ITunes will not allow me to add files to my 'Tones' tab. I'm not getting an error message or anything, the files are simply placed in my 'Music' tab. So frustrating. Is anoyone else having this problem? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 1:24 AM

Which build of iTunes? Have you tried putting the ringtone files into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder? I've just checked that it is working for me on Windows (10.7.0.21). Mind you, so does drag & drop onto the Library area, or the Tones playlist itself.

tt2

5 replies

Oct 4, 2012 12:33 PM in response to J-Wood12

tried the automatically add to itunes method, it does make a new folder in my itunes called

tones but the ringtone doesn't aprear in it? its 30 sec long and .m4r anybody know why this happens?

im not allowed to drop it in there directly and when i drop it in tht auto add folder it dissapears as it should but

does not go into my tones folder 😟

Oct 6, 2012 11:38 AM in response to J-Wood12

I have a brand new Iphone5 with IOS 6 for my birthday. I have had the same special ringtone for years in another brand of phone which always was dragged and dropped into the phone.

Drag and drop didn't seem to work with the Iphone.

Following advice here, I used Iringer to create the ringtone. Then I made sure that the "Tones" was checked in the Itunes Library Preferences. The Iringer created a folder in Windows "My Documents" folder. I In Itunes I added folder to the Library, which automatically added the ringtones to the "Tones" library. Then I synced.

My ringtone was on the very top of the list of ringtones in "settings."

Thank you. This worked like a charm.

Creating custom ringtones for iOS 6 on iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.