Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EXPORTING FOR BROADCASTING - Need help urgent!

Hi,

I really need some help exporting my HD (1920x1080 - Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 23,98fps) in these conditions:
(

Format

DV - 4:2:0 - 25 Mb/s

Size

4:3

Audio reference

-12 dBf

Highest audio

-6 dBf

Chroma subsampling

4:2:2

Format

DV PAL-25, self-contained

( QuickTime Movie )

Audio channels

Left, Right ( 48 kHz )

Basic Information: It is a music video for broadcasting in TV. (I really want it to look good, because it is

my first project shown on television.)

Thank you very much!

Mate Boegi

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 12:33 AM

14 replies

Sep 25, 2012 5:19 AM in response to MatteusBG

You need to set the audio levels in FCP.

Export the Timeline to QuickTime using current settings and as a self contained movie.

Bring that file into Compressor and apply the DV PAL preset.

Because your original is 16:9 you need to letterbox it into 4:3. You will need to make a few changes in Compressor.

In the Frame Controls Tab...

User uploaded file

And in the Geometry Tab...

User uploaded file

Sep 25, 2012 6:17 AM in response to MatteusBG

is the above a delivery spec sheet given to you by the Broadcaster and is it for a European transmission?

You must get that spec if this isn't from the Broadcaster so please becareful or it will be regected by the complience engineer.

In Europe, mainstream Broadcasters only accept 50Mbps files.

25 Mbps is not Broadcast quality, however local cable channels accept any rubbish thrown at them.

Sep 25, 2012 6:26 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hey!

Yep, the spec sheet is from the Broadcaster, and yes it is a for European television.

Wired, why did they say 25Mbps then? ... You probably right... But when I check the Mbps in FINAL CUT under

(right click) "Item properties - Format" it tells me that the "above export i just did" has only Data rate at: 3.5 Mb/sec. Any clue why?

Thank you!

Sep 25, 2012 6:27 AM in response to Nick Holmes

Nick Holmes wrote:

25 Mbit/s is standard for DV. You don't need to do anything.

DV PAL uses 4.2.0 Subsampling, not 4.2.2. Nothing you can do about that. The format is what it is.

Note that this does not mean that some chroma is not sampled at all - it is done alternately instead of simultaneously.

But when I check the Mbps in FINAL CUT under (right click) "Item properties - Format" it tells me that the "above export i just did Nick Holmes" has only Data rate at: 3.5 Mb/sec. Any clue why? ... Or am I checking the wrong place?

Sep 25, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Nick Holmes

Thanks! Phew,..

Last question: Anywhere that I actually can see that it is in 25Mb/s or is that just the standard DV PAL.. As you mentioned before? .. I can send this to the Broadcaster then? 🙂

PS. I must say that, I don't think it's going to look the best on the TV screen? Is there anyway to increase the

resolution but still keep the same specs?

Thank you guys!

Sep 25, 2012 7:28 AM in response to MatteusBG

Is there anyway to increase the

resolution but still keep the same specs?

No.

High quality video output is basically acquisition dependent. If you start with very high quality images (think well exposed film), even after the processing to get to DVD you'll have good (even very good) images if properly compressed.

Mediocre images will degrade to poor images.

That is the nature of video.

x

ps to understand the chart Nick posted, multiply 3.6 Mega BYTES per second by 8 (Number of Bits in a BYTE) to get MegaBITS/ seccond.

also for what it's worth - Megabytes is abreviated MB, Megabits is Mb.

Sep 25, 2012 7:43 AM in response to MatteusBG

You're confusing bits and bytes: the broadcaster's specs call for 25Mb/s (mega bits per second) which is roughly equivalent to 3.6MB/s (mega bytes per second). It's always important to pay attention to the use of upper and lowercase letters when dealing with bits and bytes: b = bits B = bytes

DV is part of the DV25 codec family since it is 25Mb/s. DVCam and DVCPro are also part of that group.

What is confusing about the specs to me is that the first line shows DV - 4:2:0, which clearly indicates a chroma subsampling of 4:2:0. But then the 5th line states they want 4:2:2. Now that's confusing.

-DH

EXPORTING FOR BROADCASTING - Need help urgent!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.