Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't connect without update, software can't update further.

I recently updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 6. A message then popped up in iTunes as the phone restarted, telling me an update was required for it to connect as a device.

When I hit "update" in iTunes, however, it informs me that my software is up to date. Trying to download iTunes 7 just prompts a message telling me I need Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later. Checking for updates on my Mac also comes up empty, assuring me everything is up to date.

Thing is, 10.6.8 requires Snow Leopard... Is it seriously telling me I need to buy a whole new operating system just for my iPhone to work?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 1:26 AM

Hello and welcome to the Support Community

Yes would be the answer to your question. In order to have the latest version of iTunes for your iPhone to sync, you would need to upgrade your OS from Mac OS X 10.5.8 to Mac OS X 10.6.8

I'm lead to believe that copies of Mac OS X 10.6 are available from Apple at about $20

Alternatively a copy on DVD can be obtained from online vendors such as Amazon at a higher cost.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2012 1:26 AM in response to LittleQuark

Hello and welcome to the Support Community

Yes would be the answer to your question. In order to have the latest version of iTunes for your iPhone to sync, you would need to upgrade your OS from Mac OS X 10.5.8 to Mac OS X 10.6.8

I'm lead to believe that copies of Mac OS X 10.6 are available from Apple at about $20

Alternatively a copy on DVD can be obtained from online vendors such as Amazon at a higher cost.

iPhone won't connect without update, software can't update further.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.