Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

late 2007 macbook is the same as late 2008 why will it not run mountain lion this seems like a fudge

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP12 this is the spec of the late 2007 macbook

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP5 this is the spec of the late 2008 macbook

the late 2007 has 1mb extra cache

can someone please tell me why I cannot run mountain lion on it if it is the same if not better than the 2008 macbook

also this is the EFI and firmware updates , if you go down to the macbook list you will see the one for the 2008 macbook is missing , why is this

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 1:14 AM

9 replies

Sep 25, 2012 2:17 AM in response to whywhy

Hello,

The reason isn't due to the logic board capability, but the supporting hardware.

The MacBook before 2009 did not have the multi gesture touch pad, unlike the Alu MacBook in 2008. (Looks like the MacBook Pro) In the industry we refer to these MacBook as the 'Unibody'

I can only think Mountain Lion must have some reliance on having the availability of this multi gesture touch pad in order for it to be installed.

Sep 25, 2012 2:25 AM in response to Knucklesmac

Well here,s the thing if you down load myhack and put a new hard drive in , then buy a copy of mountain lion , it works .Also some people have upgraded there hard drive and it makes the macbook jump to a 2009 in the profiller if they put a 1TB drive in , you can also run the developers version on it and server , i think apple are having a laugh

Sep 25, 2012 2:35 AM in response to whywhy

Mac OS X 10.8 ML supported hardware is:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

There is nothing on this list which states 2008 White or Black plastic model.

Personally I've not tried to install on these model, but from what Apple states they are not supported.

I know fully well the Early 2009 MacBook and Late 2008 Alu comes with a multi gesture touch pad.

One can only assume this is how they based their MacBook upgrade compatibility. I'm not saying I'm correct. To get that actual answer you may wish to contact Apple and ask someone.

I agreed I find it odd how they have dropped some supported hardware from their upgrade list, while some unsupported hardware seems better than that supported in other Mac like the MacBook Pro early 2007.

Sep 25, 2012 2:48 AM in response to Knucklesmac

MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

I am with you now , I have read that wrong ,I missed the word aluminum , thank you for your help , I am just not to happy that apple are forcing me to run a hokey version but hay this is the last mac laptop or desktop computer I will be buying so it is no problem , over to the ipad untill they do me over on that and again thank you for your help

Sep 25, 2012 2:50 AM in response to whywhy

To do so you have had to find a hack and put a new hard drive in.

Not everyone is going to do that or even ask Apple to do that for them.

It's an age old things with OS X updates.

I recall the 800Mhz iBook/PowerBook not having the ability to run Mac OS X 10.5 not so long back. People found ways to install them on these machines and they worked fine.

No reason why Apple selected the requirement at 867Mhz and above. When they could have covered the 800Mhz models as the base to install Mac OS X 10.5.

late 2007 macbook is the same as late 2008 why will it not run mountain lion this seems like a fudge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.