Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has any one noticed the iPhone 5 speakers making static noise for about ten seconds after making a sound? Does anyone know if there is a fix for it?

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue with their iPhone 5. It's really annoying! Is there a fix?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 3:45 AM

14 replies

Sep 25, 2012 5:20 PM in response to DiazMendez

I just spoke to Apple support on the phone, they told me it's definitely a hardware issue and that they will issue me a replacement (unfortunately for me the demand is so large that they can't issue it until another 4-5 weeks time, they told me to give them a call back with a case number then and they'll issue one). So definitely give them a call or visit an Apple Store!

Nov 1, 2012 9:12 PM in response to DiazMendez

I'm having the same issue. It's a faint popping static noise that seems to randomly happen. Almost like something is energizing randomly or the phone jack switches on and off for no reason.. It's much worse when charging and turns into a hum which I assume is coming from the proximity of the charging jack and the head phone jack. I've already returned one phone because of a No Sim Found issue. I hate to keep returning phones. How many times does apple allow phone returns?

Nov 2, 2012 3:16 AM in response to jabigabo

I wouldn't worry about how many times you return it. You payed good money and were expecting a good quality iPhone for your hard earned money. I have returned a total of 4 iPhones!! They first had scraps and scratches along the chamfers and the speaker issue. The second the FaceTime camera did not work and the speaker issue. The third had scraps along the chamfer, NO SIM issue and the speaker issue. The last one, which I have now is perfect, besides the speaker issue. I think either the speaker issue is a software issue or its a mass defect. Hope I have been able to help you some.

Nov 13, 2012 7:19 AM in response to jabigabo

I just received my new iPhone 5 and the noise seems to be related to LTE network traffic/interference. If you go into Settings>General>Cellular>Enable LTE and turn the feature off, the cracking noise should disappear.

This is a problem, most likely related to hardware as you state Apple confirmed.

Getting ready to test some other iPhone 5s' in the office, if they all exhibit the problem- they're going back.

Has any one noticed the iPhone 5 speakers making static noise for about ten seconds after making a sound? Does anyone know if there is a fix for it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.