9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2013 11:20 AM by sieler
Tadek Z Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I cannot transfer mp4 videos now that I upgraded to iOS6 and iTunes 10.7. I was syncing through iTunes. After the upgrade I added one more movie to my iTunes library and wanted to add this by re-syncing. As a result, all my videos (around 30) were erased from iPad.

I cannot now move them manually either - when I turn off the syncing movies box and just select manual adding of videos, and drag-and-drop them, 'updating file' message pops up but then disappears quickly and synchronisation is ended. All that shows afterwards is this title in grey in iTunes Movies section of my iPad, with the sync icon next to the movie - but the movie is not there on the device.

All I can do is access my videos via streaming from my PC - when my PC is turned on, my iPad plays the videos from the library (including the new one). So I have to have my PC on to watch movies from iPad... But when I turn on the flight mode, the files are not there.

I tried to transfer the old videos (the 30), without any success. All the syncing does is syncing iBooks with my PC... Music does not sync either, as I have iTunes Match on. When I turn it off, turn of the syncing and drag-and-drop files, as it works with iPod, the same thing happens as with movies

Anyone can help please?

Best wishes,

Tadek

iPad, iOS 6
  • Dirk Everse Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)

Did you uncheck the video settings in the iPad-iTunes window, reboot iTunes and check them again?

• Sjfipad Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have exactly the same problem.  We use a collection of iPads in our work.  We have several .m4v movie files on a flash drive.  When an employee needs a movie on his iPad, we launch iTunes 10.7 on a MacBook Air.  We then plug in his iPad and expand the listings under the Devices.  We open the Movies choice.  We then open a Finder window and navigate to the movie on the flash drive.  We drag the movie from the flash drive to the iTunes Movies window.  This launches a copying process that places the movie on the iPad.  We use the same MBA for all employees and do not want the movies in the iTunes library on the MBA, so this dragging from the flash drive to the Movies folder is perfect for us.

However, we have one iPad 3 with iOS 6 on it that just won't work with this process.  All the other iPads (some 1's, a 2, and another 3) have IOS 5, and this process works perfectly.

None of the iPads are set to sync with the iTunes library on the MBA.  All of them have been "authorized" on the MBA, but I don't think the authorization process matters.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

I forgot to mention that when we try to drag a movie from the flash drive to the iPad 3, the plus sign inside the green circle disappears.  So we highlight the movie in Finder, select copy, switch to iTunes and select paste.  The flash drive starts blinking, iTunes starts humming, then everything stops.  We wind up with a greyed out listing of the movie in the Movies window of iTunes.

This particular movie copies just fine to all other iPads and an iPhone 4.  The iPhone 4 is on iOS 5.

Thanks

• Texas Mac Man Level 8 Level 8 (46,545 points)

Another way. You can use a USB flash drive & the camera connection kit.

Plug the USB flash drive into your computer & create a new folder titled DCIM. Then put your movie/photo files into the folder. The files must have a filename with exactly 8 characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension (i.e., my-movie.mov; DSCN0164.jpg).

Now plug the flash drive into the iPad using the camera connection kit. Open the Photos app, the movie/photo files should appear & you can import. (You can not export using the camera connection kit.)

Secrets of the iPad Camera Connection Kit

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57401068-285/secrets-of-the-ipad-camera-conn ection-kit/

 Cheers, Tom

Thanks for the tip on using the camera connection kit.  However, there are a couple of problems with putting the movie in the camera roll.  First, it shows up with all your other photos and short videos.  You can use albums to help with the organization, but I'm dealing with employees who range from near untrainable.  Even getting some of them to understand the album concept on an iPad, much less how to navigate to it, is no fun.  The Videos app is a better solution for us, especially when we can attach artwork that shows up in large thumbnails.  Second, I think you lose your chapter markers if you run the movie through camera roll.

In any event, I've stumbled upon the solution, and I have to blame Apple for not making this easier to figure out.  If it used to work just fine (i.e. the flash drive to the Movies folder w/o syncing) and then stopped working, someone or some documentation from Apple should give out the secret.  We users should not have to try this then try that until something miraculous happens.  If we wanted that type of experience, we'd use Android devices.

Here is what works.  Connect the flash drive.  Launch iTunes.  Connect the iOS device.  Expand the folders under the iOS device.  Click on the Movies folder.  Navigate to the flash drive.  Highlight the movie file.  Select copy from the navigation menu.  (Note here that dragging the highlighted movie file from the flash drive to the Movies window in iTunes did not work for me.  I had to use the copy-paste commands.)  Click on the Movies window in iTunes.  Select paste from the iTunes menu bar.  You should shortly see a greyed out file name of the movie in the Movies window.  Right click on the iOS device from the left side of iTunes.  (This is the same place you would right click to force a backup of your iOS device or to transfer purchases from your iOS device)  Select Sync.  (Selecting Transfer Purchases also works.  The copy happens after the purchases are transferred to the iTunes computer)  You should shortly see a "Syncing Music" message at the top of iTunes and be able to watch iTunes copy the movie file from your flash drive to your iOS device.  The beauty of this approach is that you do not have to have your iOS device synced with the iTunes library on the computer you are using to run iTunes.  All of the "sync" choices within iTunes should be unchecked before you do this type of file transfer from a flash drive to any iOS device, unless you want the iTunes library of that particular computer replacing the items on the iOS device.  For us, syncing nothing whatsoever when the device is plugged in is a good solution since we can support our 10 iOS devices from a single computer.

Gads.  Just tried to follow my own advice.  This time, with my iOS 5.1 iPhone, I had to use the "Transfer Purchases" option to get the movie from the flash drive to the movies folder on the iPhone.  The "Sync" choice wouldn't work.  It just deleted the greyed out movie listing under the iPhone device.

If anyone can illuminate me as to how and why this is all happening within iTunes, that would be wonderful.

• crazysarah Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

You need to download IMedia Player from apps store.  IMedia is free apps.  Next use I-Tunes to sync and add video from pc to ipad.  IMedia plays all format from AVI, MP4, MOV, etc.

• lp314 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi alls,

Had the same problem, could not drag and drop from itunes to the device. Then I noticed that If I go to my device, select "on this Ipad" onthe top row (summary, info, music, ... on this ipad), select the movies category and then "add to" litlle +icon on the upper right corner, the movies did copy from Itunes to ipad.

Hope this helps.

• sieler Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

lp314, thanks!  That solved it for me, too.