Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 Bluetooth Issues with Car Radio

I have a Nissan X-Trail with Bluetooth radio, since I have purchased my new iPhone 5, I have been told by any person listning that the reception is terrible, apparently sounding hollow, weak, echo somtimes, and generally noisy, however I can hear them ok. I had an iPhone 4s previously which did not exhibit these effects.

Is anyone else having weid problems with the iPhone 5 Bluetooth connected to there car radio ?

I have re-set the Wi-Fi settings, and no change, normal talking without Bluetooth is ok.

This is very frustrating for a new phone, as I require it constantly due to the amount of time I spend in my Vehicle

If this appears to be a common problem, I hope Apple can resolve it URGENTLY.

iPhone 5, iOS 6, 32 GB

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 6:24 AM

19 replies

Sep 26, 2012 8:03 AM in response to OzTrekie

Since upgrading to IOS 6, my expensive Kenwood car stereo has very "choppy" bluetooth connection with my iPhone 4S. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it wont. sometimes I have to turn off bluetooth and then turn it back on for the radio to recognize it. I don't use the phone for music streaming like so many folks do (they are having problems with this function apparantly) I use the bluetooth for hands free calling. I've called Kenwood (they were already aware of it) and they said they "may" have a firmware update to work with IOS 6. I also called AppleCare and they too said they may have an updated patch (IOS 6.1?) to fix the bluetooth disconnect. I'm hoping either one does this soon since I need my car phone iPhone to work with my Kenwood head unit.

Sep 29, 2012 10:10 PM in response to OzTrekie

I have the same exact problem. I was using my iphone 4 until my wife and I upgraded recently, or at least what I thought was going to be an upgrade, and the bluetooth is not working properly. We have an Audi Q7 with built-in Bluetooth. I've tried everything but it seems the iphone 5 has yet another problem. I've reset the device and the car's bluetooth connection and still no luck, very frustrating!!

Sep 30, 2012 6:57 PM in response to OzTrekie

First off, when I upgraded my iPhone 4s to iOS 6, my bluetooth connection to my Pioneer DEH-80PRS worked, but I lost steering wheel control and had to use my phone for all commands... definitely frustrating, but at least it worked... The bluetooth connection to my Cobra iRadar radar detector had no apparent issues.

Now with my iPhone 5 with iOS 6, I can't connect ANYTHING via bluetooth!! My Pioneer unit displays "device full" (indicating that I have more than 3 devices connected to my phone via Bluetooth) even though it's not connected to any device... and now my iRadar shows a blue light indicating a connection, but according to my phone, there's no bluetooth icon up top, and in settings, it doesn't show any such device (displays my Pioneer unit, but not connected) However, when I go to my iRadar app on my phone, it shows connection and all functions are displayed correctly!?!! The only way it can get the info from my radar detector to the app on my phone.... is via Bluetooth!

Go figure.

I love my phone, I'm not even having any issues with iMap on my phone (works perfectly where I live) but Apple, you're letting us down with all these "minor issues".... looks to me like you've managed to literally make a mountain out of a (lot of individual) mole hill!!!

Oct 4, 2012 2:49 PM in response to OzTrekie

I got my Car Radio Kenwood KDC-X996. It was totally compatible with my Iphone 4s with IOS 5.1.1. Everything worked fine my Bluetooth perfect and my Car Radio can control all function from my Iphone.
But now I updated the new IOS 6.0 and all my issues are started. Bluetooth doesn't work at all fine, I can't access all function from the Car Radio to my Iphone. The only thing I can do is pause the music is on playing.

Nov 18, 2012 8:18 AM in response to luvejaran

I too have the KDC-x996. Bluetooth worked fine on my iPhone 4 with 5.1 iOS. Have now have an iPhone 5 with the latest iOS (6.0.1) - Bluetooth is choppy, disconnects and unusable. I have not been able to enjoy my Bluetooth features in my vehicle. Hopefully help is on the way from either Kenwood or Apple. I also hope Apple can get back to us with an update.

Dec 16, 2012 3:17 PM in response to OzTrekie

I've just upgraded from iPhone 4 to a 5 & can't connect via Bluetooth to my car stereo. Very annoying as I have a hands free mic wired up to my car stereo. On the iPhone 4 I used to be able to stream music via Bluetooth to car until some bright spark decided the software upgrade would no longer allow this.

Upgraded to iPhone 5 a week ago & now nothing. Tempted to put my nano sim back in iPhone 4 with adapter my phone operator supplied if I had problems. Then Apple can stick my iPhone 5 where the sun doesn't shine!

I shoulda gone against my instinct & got the SIII

iPhone 5 Bluetooth Issues with Car Radio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.