Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple TV affecting Mac Book Pro?!

Recently, my wife and I were sitting on the couch. I was working on my Mac Book Pro (2010) and she was fiddling around with the Apple TV (trying to get AirPlay to work with YouTube after that blasted "upgrade" to iOS 6). Anyway, at some point, the on-screeen volume control popped up as if I had just lowered the volume using my keyboard! Huh? A few seconds later it happened again. It turned out that my wife's press of the "down" arrow appeared to occasionally - but not always - invoke the volume control on my Mac!

Now, I searched a little on this forum and saw that one can pair the Apple TV remote with the Mac via IR. But we hadn't done that! Is this a known bug?

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:28 AM

9 replies

Sep 25, 2012 10:26 AM in response to tjwolf

It is not a bug. The Macbook will accept input from any remote. If you have two remotes, pair one with the AppleTV and one with the Macbook. Then they will each remote will only work with the device they are paired with. If you have only one remote and use it for the AppleTV, do what I do and disable IR on the Macbook. We never need a remote for the macbook so we disabled IR.

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > unlock (will ask for your password) > Advanced > select Disable remote control with infrared receiver

Sep 25, 2012 10:35 AM in response to bobwild

Bob,

After I wrote the post, I did disable IR on the Macbook via the mechanism you describe. But I don't agree with you that it's not a bug: although the MacBook might "accept input" from any remote, it should not act on these inputs unless the remote is paired with it. I never paired the Apple TV remote with my Mac, so why is the Mac letting this remote change my volume settings? What's to keep me from going out in public, find someone using their Macs with headphones, and pointing my remote at their machine and max their volume? Seems like an invitation for mischief/lawsuits.

Sep 25, 2012 12:59 PM in response to bobwild

Bob,

A bug can be in implementation or design. If an Apple device can be controlled by any remote - without the owner of the device first having to acknowledge/allow it, it's a design flaw/bug. You can call it a "feature" if you like, but I don't think you'd get much agreement from any real engineer. It's just stupid to ship a product - especially one made to be taken out in public - and have it default to be so insecure. Your suggestion that it's only the default and that it can be turned off "real easy" doesn't hold much water either. It assumes the person knew to turn it off. I'm a software developer (I'm just mentioning this to show that I'm not totally computer illiterate) who's owned his MBP for two years now - I didn't even know the thing had an IR receiver (it's not like there's a tell-tale LED that would let me know)! I asked my boss - who's owned Macs for 10 years and he didn't know that there was an IR receiver on his MBP either (much less how to turn it off: who would know to even look under "Security and Privacy" followed by clicking on the unlock button followed by clicking on "Advanced" to find the checkbox that turns off the IR receiver??)

As to how many people are going to take their remote to "disturb" users of Macbooks? Since the Mac TV remote comes in a nice, small, inconspicous package, I think I will head to the next Starbucks and see what havoc I can wreak :-) You'd be surprised what people do when they have time on their hands :-)

Anyway, I guess we just disagree. To me, it's an obvious bug/security risk. To you it's a feature.

Sep 25, 2012 1:34 PM in response to tjwolf

I have been in IT for 40 years and there has always been a differnce between a design feature and bug and there still is. Even a stupid design feature is not a bug. If you want to redefine these terms for your arguement then you win.

I imagine there were many real engineers at Apple who decided to impliment this feature.

I don't think you could find a real engineer who would say a design feature is a bug, or a bug is a design feature.

You and your boss have both proven with your years of use that it is not a problem.

Go have your fun at starbucks and you should hope you don't upset the wrong type of person.

You indicate you don't know System Preferences and then you equate this to a security risk, and you want to tell Apple engineers how to designtheir products.

Message was edited by: bob wild I forgot to add . Yes we can disagree! :) cheers.

Sep 25, 2012 6:15 PM in response to bobwild

Yes, there is a difference between a design feature and a bug ( and/or design flaw). I didn't say there wasn't. Since leaving a device open for others to manipulate without the consent of the owner doesn't seem like something a responsible engineer would do intentionally, I believe it's a bug or design flaw rather than a "feature". Unless you're friends with the Apple designers and know their intent, you have no way of knowing that leaving the IR open was by design (vs. bug). I don't need to "redefine" any terms in order to make this perfectly logical argument.

You say that my boss and I have proven that it's not a problem. Not at all! My boss and I have proven that most people probably don't even know of the existence of IR on the Macs and wouldn't know how to react when they find their volume control "mysteriously" going up/down.

You say "You indicate you don't know System Preferences..."

Nowhere in my post did I say that I don't know "System Preferences". I said that this particular system preference is difficult to find. Since my Mac gives no visual indication that there is an IR port active (such as an LED) and there is no OBVIOUS system preference that points it out, the average user won't know about it nor turn it off. Since the average user won't turn it off, it stays on. Since it stays on, it's easy for someone to have some fun with Mac users. It is not so hard to understand how this faulty arrangement may lead people who wouldn't appreciate being manipulated by someone's IR to, nonetheless, not do anything to protect themselves - because they don't know that there is a need to!

May 16, 2013 10:18 PM in response to tjwolf

tjwolf - as an IT professional with 30+ years experience, I totally agree with your logic. Forget about bobwild - he has obviously drunk the KoolAid. 😀

This 'feature' has annoyed me to no end since we got NetFlix and AppleTV in the home and now I learn of some obscure, buried sys pref that will disable a feature of my laptop that I didn't even know I had, but that I do not wish to disable - what do I do if I want to use a remote with my MBP later?

Rather than get into a circular argument with bobwild about this obvious design flaw, i will just do what he recommended and hope that there's a hack to get around it if ever I should want that functionality back.

Thanks for sticking to your guns. It's obvious that you do quality work!

My Apple TV affecting Mac Book Pro?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.